Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com> on 2017/11/09 23:54:20 UTC

Timeline for Spark 2.3

According to the timeline posted on the website, we are nearing branch cut
for Spark 2.3.  I'd like to propose pushing this out towards mid to late
December for a couple of reasons and would like to hear what people think.

1. I've done release management during the Thanksgiving / Christmas time
before and in my experience, we don't actually get a lot of testing during
this time due to vacations and other commitments. I think beginning the RC
process in early January would give us the best coverage in the shortest
amount of time.
2. There are several large initiatives in progress that given a little more
time would leave us with a much more exciting 2.3 release. Specifically,
the work on the history server, Kubernetes and continuous processing.
3. Given the actual release date of Spark 2.2, I think we'll still get
Spark 2.3 out roughly 6 months after.

Thoughts?

Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Sameer Agarwal <sa...@databricks.com>.
Thanks everyone! I'll then go ahead and cut the branch early next week.
This will give us enough time to set up all the necessary jenkins builders
before the voting starts. We can then start the formal release process a
week after (8th January) once everybody gets back from vacation.

Regards,
Sameer

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

From:   Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>
To:     Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>, Holden Karau
<ho...@pigscanfly.ca>
Cc:     Sameer Agarwal <sa...@databricks.com>, Erik Erlandson
<ee...@redhat.com>, dev <de...@spark.apache.org>
Date:   2017/12/21 04:48
Subject:        Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

I am interested in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-13127, to

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
+1
I think the earlier we cut a branch the better.

________________________________

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Sameer Agarwal <sa...@databricks.com>.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Erik Erlandson <ee...@redhat.com>.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Sameer Agarwal <sa...@databricks.com>.
Sounds good to me too. In addition to what has already been pointed out
about the Spark History Server and the Kubernetes support, this would also
give us enough time to further polish the new data source v2 API and the
vectorized UDF API to iron out any kinks.

I'd like to volunteer to serve as the release manager for Spark 2.3. In
terms of bandwidth, I will be available during this holiday season as I
have no vacation planed during the Dec-Jan timeframe. And I'm fairly
familiar with most of the major efforts targeted for the 2.3 release.

Thanks,
Sameer

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Marco Gaido <ma...@gmail.com>.
I would love too to have SPARK-18016. I think it would help a lot of users.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 I think that’s practical

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3