Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alan Gerhard <al...@GerCom.Com> on 2002/10/29 05:37:53 UTC

MSSQL JDBC errors prevent it's usage ...

am having a problem with the MSSQL driver; can manage the repository okay
(remote admin)
though some idiosyncrasies in deleting users;
cannot send mail to the repository, we are throwing an error - could very well
be a driver setting i am missing.

from config.xml
<data-source 	name="maildb"
     		class="org.apache.james.util.mordred.JdbcDataSource">
	<driver>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</driver>
	<dburl>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://gci-00:1433</dburl>
	<user>James</user>
	<password>James</password>
	<max>5</max>
</data-source>

(from console)
Phoenix 4.0a4

Application file:/D:/Java/James20A3/apps/james.sar uses a deprecated packaging
format.
James 2.0a3
Started POP3 Server plain:110/gci-00.gercom.com/66.181.193.108
Started SMTP Server plain:25/gci-00.gercom.com/66.181.193.108
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Can't start
manual transaction mode because there are cloned connections.
        at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.createException(Unknown
Source)
        at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown Source)
        at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.setAutoCommit(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.james.util.mordred.PoolConnEntry.setAutoCommit(PoolConnEntry.java:232
)
        at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository.store(JDBCMailRepository.java
:293)
        at org.apache.james.James.storeMail(James.java:452)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.BlockInvocationHandler.invoke(B
lockInvocationHandler.java:91)
        at $Proxy9.storeMail(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.LocalDelivery.service(LocalDelivery.java:34)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.LinearProcessor.service(LinearProcessor.java:183)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.process(JamesSpoolManager.java:241)
        at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.java:208)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(ExecutableRun
nable.java:47)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:86)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception caught while storing mail Container:
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Can't start
manual transaction mode because there are cloned connections.
        at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository.store(JDBCMailRepository.java
:422)
[...]

system and what's being used ...

James 20a3
W2K
MSSQL2K
Dell PowerEdge 1300 1Gig RAM, 2 700mhz processors

Re: MSSQL JDBC errors prevent it's usage ...

Posted by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com>.
Hi Alan,

One other thing to note is that you will get a slight performance hit by
using server based cursors, but for the moment this is the only way to get
things to work with the MS JDBC driver. Other drivers like the one from
http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/produkte/JDBC_Overview/default.htm do not
have this problem and can support multiple statements per connection...
unfortunately they are not free :-(

Glad that worked.

Thanks for the input,
Serge

Posted by Alan Gerhard <al...@GerCom.Com>.
Serge -

Thanks, that was the problem.

The htmlDoc supplied with the driver touches on this, the use of SelectMethod.
The syntax is as you mentioned, namely
<dburl>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://gci-00:1433;SelectMethod=cursor</dburl>

If you are putting together a guide to using JDBC with James, I would like to

Posted by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com>.
Hi Noel,

Posted by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com>.
Hi Noel,

OK, I will do this.

Serge

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Serge,

Thanks.  :-)  Actually I gave you a false direction.  The file that we
actually update is src/xdocs/FAQ.xml, from which we generate the HTML page.
But I've done the merge.  Thanks!

	--- Noel

[PATCH] Added MSSQL JDBC driver FAQ item

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Serge,