Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mykel Alvis <my...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/03 18:57:24 UTC

Intermittent failure with tomcat deployment

tomcat:deploy:
[deploy] FAIL - Encountered exception java.io.IOException:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException?
[deploy]

Re: Intermittent failure with tomcat deployment

Posted by Mykel Alvis <my...@gmail.com>.
Sorry.  Reponse lag and Gmail fooled me into sending the mail too early.
I get intermittent failures when deploying.

In my cron'd nightly extract/build/deploy , I build the app in several
maven calls, since javadoc and doxygen both bomb out due to
OutOfMemory errors.

Snippet of the shell script that does the build
svn update 2>&1 >> $DATEFILE
maven clean war:deploy-snapshot 2>&1 >> $DATEFILE
echo "Skip logging of javadoc...too many violations" >> $DATEFILE
maven doxygen site:generate 2>&1 >> $DATEFILE
maven javadoc 2>&1 > /tmp/maven.javadoc.txt
maven site:fsdeploy 2>&1 >> $DATEFILE
maven tomcat:redeploy 2>&1 >> $DATEFILE

I have a running tomcat instance, which has a context copied to it already.
Relevant project.properties entries are:

maven.j2ee.warname=OmniManager
maven.war.final.name=${pom.artifactId}-${pom.currentVersion}.war
maven.war.index=true

The nightly deployment is a snapshot, so the relevant part of the
context I keep in src/webapp/META-INF/context.xml notes as follows:
<Context debug="9" displayName="OmniManager-SNAPSHOT"
docBase="OmniManager-SNAPSHOT" path="/OmniManager-SNAPSHOT"
reloadable="true"
workDir="work/Catalina/localhost/OmniManager-SNAPSHOT">

Probably 3-5 times a week, the following error occurs

tomcat:deploy:
  [deploy] FAIL - Encountered exception java.io.IOException:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException?
[deploy]
OR
tomcat:deploy:
    [deploy] FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    [deploy]

Is this a problem with the manager app or the plugin or is it a
combination effect of coupling the deploy with something that changes
the context and therefore the directory it gets deployed to because
the tomcat:redeploy is deploying a SNAPSHOT instead of version 0.8.0?