Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jean Figarella <jf...@vecna.com> on 2006/08/09 12:20:49 UTC

400 Bad Request error from svn

Here is my problem,

On my network there is a subversion server to which everybody connects
to and checks in/out code and documents. The workstations on the network
are all based on Fedora core 3. And everybody's home directory is on a
nfs share. This nfs share is mounted via the fstab. So no matter to
which box a user logs in, his/her home dir is gonna be the same.

Now here is the trick. I installed a new CentOS4.3 workstation for
testing purposes. Mounted the home dirs like all the Fedora boxes. But
whenever I try to do svn update or any other subversion command from my
home dir I get the following:

*Code:*

bash-3.00$ svn update

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default'

svn: REPORT of '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request
(https://subversion)

bash-3.00$

But if I create a new directory, lets call it /local and I move there,
then I can check out code and docuemts and do everything else.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jean

Re: 400 Bad Request error from svn

Posted by Jean Figarella <jf...@vecna.com>.

Jean Figarella wrote:

> Jean Figarella wrote:
>>

>> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>>> I'm forwarding this to the list.
>>>
>>> It does make things more clear: note that with the available updates
>>> for FC3 and David Summer's RPM's and SRPM's for CentOS 4.x, there is
>>> no reason to stay with such old versions, and a good set of reasons
>>> to upgrade.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering about file ownership under NFS. Do both machines have
>>> the same UID for the same username, or does one of them by some weird
>>> chance have a duplicate entry for your username with a different UID?
>>> I've seen precisely that sort of problem in mixed environments
>>> before, when people were careless about adding machines to NFS services.
>>

>> Authentication is done via NIS, so uid and gid is the same under both
>> distributions and computers. I also checked nfs access permision on
>> the /etc/exports files and both computers or hosts have the same set
>> of permissions.
>>

>> I will try to upgrade to the latest version of subversion and see how
>> it goes.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jean
>>

> Here is the output:
>
> As root on the centos 4.3 system:
>
> [root@moody subversion]# rpm -Uvh subversion-1.3.2-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
> Preparing...                ###########################################
> [100%]
>   1:subversion             ###########################################
> [100%]
> [root@moody subversion]#
>

> As a regular user on the same system:
>
> bash-3.00$ cd ~/dev/sysadmin/
> bash-3.00$ svn update
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default'
> svn: REPORT of '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request
> (https://subversion)
> bash-3.00$
> bash-3.00$ cd /local/new_dev/sysadmin/
> bash-3.00$ svn update
> At revision 30009.
> bash-3.00$
>
> -Jean

Here is something new that I found out. Looking at the logs in
/var/log/httpd.

When I svn from the local dir: (svn update)

from ssl_access_log

192.168.3.80 - - "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin HTTP/1.1" 401 478
192.168.3.80 -   "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin HTTP/1.1" 207 692
192.168.3.80 -   "PROPFIND /svn/code/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 207 402
192.168.3.80 -   "PROPFIND /svn/code/!svn/bln/30382 HTTP/1.1" 207 461
192.168.3.80 -   "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin HTTP/1.1" 207 692
192.168.3.80 -   "REPORT /svn/code/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 200 647

and from ssl_request_log

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin
HTTP/1.1" 478

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin
HTTP/1.1" 692

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND
/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 402

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/!svn/bln/30382
HTTP/1.1" 461

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin
HTTP/1.1" 692

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "REPORT /svn/code/!svn/vcc/default
HTTP/1.1" 647

Now to the good part, when I run svn from the nfs mounted dir. (svn update)

from ssl_access_log

192.168.3.80 - -"PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin HTTP/1.1" 401 478
192.168.3.80 -  "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin HTTP/1.1" 207 692
192.168.3.80 -  "PROPFIND /svn/code/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 207 402
192.168.3.80 -  "PROPFIND /svn/code/!svn/bln/30387 HTTP/1.1" 207 461
192.168.3.80 -  "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin HTTP/1.1" 207 692
192.168.3.80 -  "REPORT /svn/code/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 400 303

from ssl_request_log

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin
HTTP/1.1" 478

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin
HTTP/1.1" 692

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND
/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 402

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/!svn/bln/30387
HTTP/1.1" 461

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "PROPFIND /svn/code/sysadmin
HTTP/1.1" 692

192.168.3.80 TLSv1 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA "REPORT /svn/code/!svn/vcc/default
HTTP/1.1" 303

and from the ssl_error_log

[error] [client 192.168.3.80] The request body must specify a report.

Is this an ssl error or is it webdav?
The version of openssl on the Fedora box is actually older than the one
the CentOS box.

Fedora:
-bash-3.00$ rpm -qa | grep ssl
openssl-0.9.7a-42.1