Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Chakravarthy varaga <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/05 13:21:37 UTC

Increasing parallelism skews/increases overall job processing time linearly

Hi All,

I have a job as attached.

I have a 16 Core blade running RHEL 7. The taskmanager default number of
slots is set to 1. The source is a kafka stream and each of the 2
sources(topic) have 2 partitions each.

*What I notice is that when I deploy a job to run with #parallelism=2 the
total processing time doubles the time it took when the same job was
deployed with #parallelism=1. It linearly increases with the parallelism.*
Since the numberof slots is set to 1 per TM, I would assume that the job
would be processed in parallel in 2 different TMs and that each consumer in
each TM is connected to 1 partition of the topic. This therefore should
have kept the overall processing time the same or less !!!

The co-flatmap connects the 2 streams & uses ValueState (checkpointed in
FS). I think this is distributed among the TMs. My understanding is that
the search of values state could be costly between TMs.  Do you sense
something wrong here?

Best Regards
CVP

Re: Increasing parallelism skews/increases overall job processing time linearly

Posted by Chakravarthy varaga <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

    Thanks for your response.
    The results are the same.
        4 CPU (*8 cores in total)
        kafka partitions = 4 per topic
        parallesim for job = 3
        task.slot / TM = 4

    Basically this flink application consumes (kafka source) from 2 topics
and produces (kafka sink) onto 1 topic. on 1 consumer topic, the event load
is 100K/sec, while the other source has 1 event / an hour ...
    I'm wondering if parallelism is enabled on multiple sources
irrespective of the partition size.

    What I did is to enable 1 partition for the 2nd topic (1 event/hour)
and 4 partitions for 100K events topic. And deployed  a 3 parallelism job
and the results are the same...

Best Regards
CVP

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.