Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@hotmail.com> on 2020/01/08 07:40:02 UTC

Hadoop 3.3 Release Plan Proposal

Hi All,

To continue a faster cadence of releases to accommodate more features,we could plan a Hadoop 3.3 release around March Mid.

To start the process sooner, and to establish a timeline, I propose to target Hadoop 3.3.0 release by March Mid 2020. (About 2 months from now).

I would also would like to take this opportunity to come up with a detailed plan.

Feature Freeze Date : All features should be merged by Feb 28, 2020.

Code Freeze Date : blockers/critical only, no improvements and non blocker/critical bug-fixes March 10, 2020.

Release Date: March 15, 2020

I have tried to come up with a list of features on my radar which could be candidates

1. Merged & Completed features:

  *   HDFS-13891 HDFS RBF stabilization phase 1. (Owner: Brahma)
  *   HDFS-12345: Scale testing HDFS NameNode with real metadata and workloads (Dynamometer) (owner: Erik Krogen)
  *   HDFS-13762: Support non-volatile storage class memory(SCM) in HDFS cache directives ( owner: Feilong He)
  *   HADOOP-16095 : Support impersonation for AuthenticationFilter (owner:  Eric Yang)
  *   YARN-7129: Application Catalog for YARN applications (Owner: Eric Yang)
  *   YARN-5542: Scheduling of opportunistic containers (owner: Konstantinos Karanasos)
  *   YARN-9473: Support Vector Engine ( a new accelerator hardware) based on pluggable device framework. (owner :Peter Bacsko)
  *   YARN-9264: [Umbrella] Follow-up on IntelOpenCL FPGA plugin. (owner: Peter Bacsko)
  *   YARN-9145: [Umbrella] Dynamically add or remove auxiliary services

2. Features close to finish:

  *   HADOOP-13363 Upgrade protobuf from 2.5.0 to something newer (Owner: Vinay)
  *    YARN-1011: Schedule containers based on utilization of currently allocated containers
  *   (Owner: Haibo Chen)
  *    YARN-9698: [Umbrella] Tools to help migration from Fair Scheduler to Capacity Scheduler. (Owner: Weiwei Yang)
  *    YARN-9050: [Umbrella] Usability improvements for scheduler activities. (Owner: Tao Yang)
  *    YARN-8851:[Umbrella] A pluggable device plugin framework to ease vendor plugin development (owner: Zhankun Tang)
  *   YARN-9014: runC container runtime (owner : Eric Badger)
  *    HADOOP-15620: Über-jira: S3A phase VI: Hadoop 3.3 features. ( owner :  Steve Loughran)
  *    HADOOP-15763: Über-JIRA: abfs phase II: Hadoop 3.3 features & fixes. ( owner :  Steve Loughran)
  *    HADOOP-15619:Über-JIRA: S3Guard Phase IV: Hadoop 3.3 features. ( owner :  Steve Loughran)
  *    HADOOP-15338: Support Java 11 LTS in Hadoop (owner: Akira Ajisaka)

3. Summary of Issues Status

There are 1781 issues are fixed in 3.3.0(1) which very big number.

13 Blocker and critical issues are open(2),I will followup owners to get status on each of them to get in by code Freeze date.

Please let me know if I missed any features targeted to 3.3 per this timeline. I would like to volunteer myself as release manager of 3.3.0 release.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Reference:

   1) project in (YARN, HADOOP, MAPREDUCE, HDFS) AND resolution = Fixed AND fixVersion = 3.3.0

   2) project in (YARN, HADOOP, MAPREDUCE, HDFS) AND priority in (Blocker, Critical) AND resolution = Unresolved AND "Target        Version/s" = 3.3.0 ORDER BY priority DESC

Note:

i) added the owners based on the jira assignee and reporter.. Please correct me
ii) will update cwiki

Regards,
Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: Hadoop 3.3 Release Plan Proposal

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.
*Important update: *branch-3.3 has created. and now trunk is to target to
3.4.0 ( As per above plan). ( will send in another mail with subject and
post in slack group also.)

Please merge any critical or blocker issues to branch-3.3 also.

Thanks.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.