Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> on 2017/07/04 08:07:53 UTC

Address family for hostname not supported

When looking in my logs, I saw:
    spamd[1172]: error creating a DNS resolver socket: Address family for hostname not supported at /usr/share/per
    spamd[1172]: dns: unable to connect to [::1]:53, failing over to [127.0.0.1]:53

I added ‘--ipv4-only’ to the spamd call. This seems to have solved my
problem. What could be the reason of mu problem? And is my change the
correct one?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Address family for hostname not supported

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl>.
On Tuesday  4 Jul 2017 10:33 CEST, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 04.07.2017 um 10:07 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>> When looking in my logs, I saw: spamd[1172]: error creating a DNS
>> resolver socket: Address family for hostname not supported at
>> /usr/share/per spamd[1172]: dns: unable to connect to [::1]:53,
>> failing over to [127.0.0.1]:53
>>
>> I added ‘--ipv4-only’ to the spamd call. This seems to have solved
>> my problem. What could be the reason of mu problem? And is my
>> change the correct one?
>
> you just disabled ipv6 on your machine and hence address faimly not
> supported - nothingf wrong with that when you don't have ipv6 at all

With ‘ip addr’ I see I have a ipv6 address on localhost, but for one
reason or another I get that error message and spamassassin does not
work. With disabling ipv6 it seems to work again.

I do now get:
    spamc[15217]: connect to spamd on ::1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refused

But that is probably because spamc first tries to connect on ipv6,
which fails. And then connects on ipv4.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer