Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/12 14:46:39 UTC

[SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

I've uploaded the current site to my pao directory:

http://people.apache.org/~sebb/incubator/

This was created using a reworked site.vsl that creates relative links
where possible, so the LH menu should work OK

the directories are:

current - as for existing CSS files

bootstrap - css files as per original commit of bootstrap

I can easily create other samples with different CSS files for comparison.

[Note - I dropped the audit and altRMI folders and some other stuff to
make the site smaller]

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> for clutch, adding this CSS works for me:
>
>  #clutch .cool1, #clutch .cool1 a { color:white; }
>
> See http://dl.dropbox.com/u/715349/tmp/clutch.jpg
>
> -Bertrand

Very much +1 on what Bertrand suggests
Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> > Note that there is no distinction between links and plain text in
> > either case (except on hover).
> >
> > I think that needs to be fixed.
>
> Could people please just concentrate on the rest of the site.
>
> I have already been addressing the Clutch table and colours
> (and other aspects of its page) as we have moved through these
> many simultanteous changes.
>
> Please see http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#notes-2
> I will do another set of colour-blindness simulations,
> using a link colour scheme applied *only* to this table.
>
> However, i need to go away soon for the weekend.

I suggest removing the old demos called:
clutch-bootstrap
clutch-current
crossley

I will deal with the Clutch table and its link colours
as a completely separate issue.

-David

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 October 2011 08:45, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/incubator/
>> the directories are:
>>
>> current - as for existing CSS files
>>
>> bootstrap - css files as per original commit of bootstrap
>>
>> I can easily create other samples with different CSS files for comparison.
>
> Thanks for this - I prefer the bootstrap variant with the subtler colors.

Unfortunately the colours don't work with the clutch table:

http://people.apache.org/~sebb/incubator/bootstrap/clutch.html#clutch
compare that with
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/incubator/current/clutch.html#clutch

Also, headings with anchors look like links.

Yes, we can fix the clutch colours separately, and rework the headings
to avoid the anchor problem.

Are there any other issues with the bootstrap variant?

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:45:59AM +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> A nice side-effect of improving the site looks is that it should
>> prompt someone to improve the incubator logo ;-)
>
> Here is an incremental improvement I did a while back, designed to be drop-in
> compatible with the current graphic:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-112
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12478522/egg_logo.png
>
> Nobody objected, but I just got lazy and didn't push it the last mile, onto
> the site.

IMO you should - I'm still hoping for something more revolutionary,
but yours is better already. I'd remove the black border though, to
make it more Tufte-y [1]
-Bertrand

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Tufte

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:45:59AM +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> A nice side-effect of improving the site looks is that it should
> prompt someone to improve the incubator logo ;-)

Here is an incremental improvement I did a while back, designed to be drop-in
compatible with the current graphic:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-112
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12478522/egg_logo.png

Nobody objected, but I just got lazy and didn't push it the last mile, onto
the site.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Sebb,

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
> I've uploaded the current site to my pao directory:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/incubator/
>
> This was created using a reworked site.vsl that creates relative links
> where possible, so the LH menu should work OK
>
> the directories are:
>
> current - as for existing CSS files
>
> bootstrap - css files as per original commit of bootstrap
>
> I can easily create other samples with different CSS files for comparison.

Thanks for your efforts.

-David

Re: [SITE] Samples of site with different CSS settings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 October 2011 13:46, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've uploaded the current site to my pao directory:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/incubator/
>
> This was created using a reworked site.vsl that creates relative links
> where possible, so the LH menu should work OK
>
> the directories are:
>
> current - as for existing CSS files
>
> bootstrap - css files as per original commit of bootstrap
>
> I can easily create other samples with different CSS files for comparison.
>
> [Note - I dropped the audit and altRMI folders and some other stuff to
> make the site smaller]

I just changed the "About the Apache Incubator" header on the first
page to use <h2 id="xxx"> instead of <a name="xxx">.

This was the alternative fix I discussed previously.

It would mean just about every page would change.
But if combined with moving to relative hrefs that would reduce the
SVN commit noise.

S///