Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/10/07 19:04:48 UTC

[VOTE] remove mbox repository code from JAMES 2.3

A POLL thread is NOT a VOTE thread.  Yes, I do read all JAMES e-mail, but it
is entirely rude to have vote threads that are not identified as such.  I
had to dig through a lot of e-mail this morning to find that there even WAS
a vote, and only after Norman told me to look.  If he hadn't have pinged me,
I likely would not have gotten to this until tomorrow, since I'm traveling
to ApacheCon today.

> +1 after having removed MBox class at least from the config (I don't
> care to remove the file, my vote does not change in this regard)

-1 to removing the code

Absolutely not.  I use that code.  I have processed gigabytes worth of
messages through that code.  For two years, that code was used to process
apache@apache.org e-mail.  Yes, it appears that there are defects in store
and with empty files, but when used to import messages from mbox
repositories into JAMES, it works.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] remove mbox repository code from JAMES 2.3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> If I start a VOTE you say we should discuss it first, if I start a POLL
>> you convert a piece of it into a POLL.
>
> What happened was that I received an IM from Norman asking me if I had seen
> the mailing list today, and telling me about a vote to remove the mbox code
> because of the defects found yesterday.  I didn't see a vote, so I asked him
> where.  He said that the vote was in the POLL thread, hence my response.  If
> this is not a vote, fine.  My comments to keep the code stand.

Ok, but what's your preference between release 2.3.0rc4 as final by only
chaning the config.xml to remove the references to MBox (we don't remove
it, but only the comment so we don't add new users to the broken
implementation) and release a new rc5 with the 4 patches applied ?

>> BUT this was a poll and not a vote.
>
> As I said, a misunderstanding due to Norman's IM.
>
> 	--- Noel

Np, much more clear now,

Stefano

RE: [VOTE] remove mbox repository code from JAMES 2.3

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> A POLL thread is NOT a VOTE thread.  Yes, I do read all JAMES e-mail, but it
> is entirely rude to have vote threads that are not identified as such.  I
> had to dig through a lot of e-mail this morning to find that there even WAS
> a vote, and only after Norman told me to look.  If he hadn't have pinged me,
> I likely would not have gotten to this until tomorrow, since I'm traveling
> to ApacheCon today.

Of course a POLL is not a vote, and if you read the content of the
message the intent of this thread was not to decide wether to remove or
not this thing. I'm simply trying to understand the different positions
to be able to start a vote later.

If I start a VOTE you say we should discuss it first, if I start a POLL
you convert a piece of it into a POLL.

I really don't understand you. Ever.

Either way before making a next release I (or Norman) would have started
a vote so this is a non-problem.

>> +1 after having removed MBox class at least from the config (I don't
>> care to remove the file, my vote does not change in this regard)
>
> -1 to removing the code
>
> Absolutely not.  I use that code.  I have processed gigabytes worth of
> messages through that code.  For two years, that code was used to process
> apache@apache.org e-mail.  Yes, it appears that there are defects in store
> and with empty files, but when used to import messages from mbox
> repositories into JAMES, it works.
>
> 	--- Noel

BUT this was a poll and not a vote.

Since when people start a VOTE with a -1??? I never heard of such things
at ASF.

Please tell your opinion about the 2.3.0 release plan if you don't want
to make us loose too much time starting a vote that you will veto.

Stefano