Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2009/06/08 22:23:26 UTC

It takes a village -- Jean-Louis

There's the expression It Takes a Village to Raise a Child.  I think
the expression applies equally well to open source projects and the
subtext being that it's 50% a contributor's responsibility to do well
and 50% our responsibility to make sure they can.  So before proposing
someone for commit status I think it's good to have at least the
opportunity for open discussion on how well we're all doing as mentors
and contributors.

With that said, Jean-Louis, you have any feedback for us?  Anything
you think helped you get into the project that we should keep doing?
Any ideas for things we could add as good habits for encouraging/
helping new contributors?

All, same questions on the reverse.  Anythings that Jean-Louis did
that you think all contributors should do?  Any ideas for things he
could add as good habits?

-David

Re: It takes a village -- Jean-Louis

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> [...]
> other opensource projects.) so your feeling is important.
>
> When I read this post I felt a bit surprised. But finally, it seems to me
> more logical. Like always, everything is discussed and feedback is always
> welcome (I really appreciate).
>
> I will be out until next Monday so here are some comments/inputs.
>

> David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> With that said, Jean-Louis, you have any feedback for us?  Anything you
>> think helped you get into the project that we should keep doing?
>>

> - First, remain available and open-minded. For a newbie, it's really
> appreciated to have an easy way to interact with the community. users-lists
> is a good channel.
> - Examples are also a good point. We have a large set of examples, fully
> runnable and easy to understand.
> - User friendly, simple and flexible: 2 years ago, when I started a study
> about containers, I was a small JBoss user and a Spring (convinced) user.
> Conclusions were: JBoss is a commercial company (RedHat) proposing a set of
> tools more or less tightly coupled. JBoss stack is a bit complex (today) and
> the RedHat strategy regarding JBoss Embeddable (or Embedded JBoss) wasn't
> clear. Spring is a very nice, flexible, powerful IOC. SpringSource provides
> very interesting (pragmatic) solutions. But things has been changing for a
> while and it becomes more and more difficult to use only a subset of
> Spring's stuff.
> OpenEJB (advanced features compared with the specification, good community
> and activity, ...) was finally the winner.
>

> David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> Any ideas for things we could add as good habits for encouraging/
>> helping new contributors?
>>

> Hum, to be honest the documentation is something we definitely have to
> change/enhanced. We have documentation but information is not easy to
> retrieve.
> It seems to me we discussed that point (some month ago) with Mohammad and
> Jon but we are all busy guys and we haven't got any time to really work on
> it ;-)
> Even if the code itself is more or less easy to understand (except some
> pieces of code ;-)), it would be nice to have an overall schema
> (architecture) and may be a small graph of the maven
> tree/organization/hierarchy.
>

> David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> All, same questions on the reverse.  Anythings that Jean-Louis did you
>> think all contributors should do?  Any ideas for things he add as good
>> habits?
>>

> David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> Maybe a bit more documentation to go with new examples and features
>>
> Agree. Will do my best to increase documentation (yes, I can ;-)).
>
> To finish, I would like to thank all of you. I have been learning a lot
> working with you (OpenEJB, EJB 3 specification, English too, …).
>
> It's not always easy for me because of organization (company) reasons.
> I cannot spend a large amount of time all the day that's why I have to do it

We are all that man my friend ;)

> Thanks again.
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Louis
>
> -----
>   Jean-Louis

----
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: It takes a village -- Jean-Louis

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to echo what's already been said. Jean-Louis has been an
enthusiastic and dedicated contributor, and has provided us with some
excellent patches, particularly with the webservice work he has done. He has
also been very active and helpful on both the users and dev lists. I can't
fault his contribution to the project at all.

As David has already said, Jean-Louis, if you have some feedback for us it
would be great to hear it. I think I've applied a fair few of your patches,
if there's something I could have done better, it would be great to know.

Regards

Jon

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
----
Thanks

Re: It takes a village -- Jean-Louis

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
So I'll go first.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jun 8, 2009, at 1:23 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> So before proposing someone for commit status I think it's good to
> have at least the opportunity for open discussion on how well we're
> all doing as mentors and contributors.

Was a good discussion.  Think we've got all the feedback we're going
to get.  Going to propose Jean-Louis for commit!

-David