Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Susan Roesner RZ <sr...@rz.uni-hildesheim.de> on 2007/02/14 11:42:34 UTC

[users@httpd] reverse proxy/ mod_rewrite

Hello,

I set up a reverse proxy which works fine. But if an external users wants to
access folder1 on the internal server http://web1.example.com he has to use
http://www.example.com/web1/folder1.

What I need is to rewrite this address so that web1 is omitted thus to reach
folder1 an external user only has to type http://www.example.com/folder1

I thought to use mod_rewrite. I read that Rewrite Rules are usable in
conjunction with "ProxyPassReverse". Unfortunately I didn't find any more hints
on this. Just this one sentence.

Does someone know of a tutorial/"how to" where there is some more explanation on
how to use ProxyPassReverse in conjunction with mod_Rewrite? Or is there a
better solution to this scenario?

Any advice/how to is highly appreciated.

Regards
Susan

Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy/ mod_rewrite

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/14/07, Susan Roesner RZ <sr...@rz.uni-hildesheim.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I set up a reverse proxy which works fine. But if an external users wants to
> access folder1 on the internal server http://web1.example.com he has to use
> http://www.example.com/web1/folder1.
>
> What I need is to rewrite this address so that web1 is omitted thus to reach
> folder1 an external user only has to type http://www.example.com/folder1
>
> I thought to use mod_rewrite. I read that Rewrite Rules are usable in
> conjunction with "ProxyPassReverse". Unfortunately I didn't find any more hints
> on this. Just this one sentence.
>
> Does someone know of a tutorial/"how to" where there is some more explanation on
> how to use ProxyPassReverse in conjunction with mod_Rewrite? Or is there a
> better solution to this scenario?
>
> Any advice/how to is highly appreciated.

It would be easier if you showed us what you already have.  From the
vague description above, it seems like you could simply use
ProxyPass /folder1 http://web1.example.com/folder1
ProxyPassReverse /folder1 http://web1.example.com/folder1

Joshua.