Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2010/06/01 12:49:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] new documentation organization and versioning

With the upcoming switch from maven-generated documentation to documentation kept in confluence we
should discuss how we will organize the documentation in the future, especially with respect to
versioning.

Currently all work on Tapestry is done in trunk with some fixes being backported to the 5.1 tag,
including documentation. This means that we have several completely independent versions of the
documentation that can be generated on request. If we want to keep it that way, we will have to
somehow artificially version our documentation pages in confluence. E.g. with a parent page
"Documentation" and subpages for each Tapestry version like "Tapestry 5.1", "Tapestry 5.0" and
"Tapestry dev" which themselves again contain independent pages for the different topics like
cookbook, user guide, tutorial, etc.

Another approach could be that we only have the most current documentation in confluence and
whenever a release is published, we export the documentation to html and store it somewhere
alongside the release. This would have the advantage that we don't have to manage several versions
of the documentation but it would also mean that we can't easily amend the documentation of the
released version once work on the development version has progressed.

A third approach could be a mix of the two where we only have the documentation for the current
release and for the current development version in confluence.

A yet another, more radical approach could come hand in hand with a change of how we develop and
release Tapestry. Instead of working towards a fixed set of functionality and release when it's done
(which might take some time) we could begin releasing at a fixed interval, say every two or three
months. That way the current release version and the current development version wouldn't drift
apart that much concerning documentation and possibly long-awaited new features. That way it might
be enough to just have one version of the documentation and mark features not yet in the release
version as such.

There are possibly many other possibilities that I didn't think of and I'd like to discuss these.
What do you think? Have you any other suggestions how to solve this versioning problem?

Cheers,

Uli

Re: [DISCUSS] new documentation organization and versioning

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
That would be possible with user macros, e.g. something like {addedin:5.1.0.8}paragraph
text{addedin} that would expand into some nice markup.

Uli

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> Robert
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2010, at 6/13:13 PM , Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>>
>>> By chance I had a conversation with someone experienced in organizing
>>> documentation for software products later today and he recommends to follow
>>> a pragmatic approach. The documentation should always represent the latest
>>> development version and features should simply be marked with the version of
>>> their introduction. In case of changes to previous behaviour old and new
>>> behaviour should be documented, again with a note when the changes were
>>> introduced. Everything more complicated like managing a n-version
>>> documentation is likely to need a lot of rules and discipline and is
>>> therefore likely to not being successful.
>>>
>>> This is more or less what I proposed in the last approach except that it
>>> isn't coupled to a change in our release process. Do you think this would be

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [DISCUSS] new documentation organization and versioning

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
It's hard to keep up with tapestry versions in all cases. I have
projects still deployed using 5.0.14, as well as 5.1.0.5. Upgrading
isn't always an option even if it's mostly painless.

That said, I generally refer to the javadoc, tapestry source to figure
stuff out. The website documentation has been a good place to get a
story about subject areas. If the javadoc  is robust then keeping old
versions of the web docs around is less of a requirment in my mind.
Better package level documentation, putting component parameters and
simple examples in the javadoc, perhaps just cut and paste from the
web docs...

-- Josh

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
I think this is great, but I'd put a snapshot of the docs at the time
of release somewhere, since some things may change that are confusing
if someone's, for instance, fixing a project that uses an older version.

Regards,
Christian
Sent from my iPhone.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 23:52, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> Sometimes ppl are forced to use a specific subversion - it makes a lot of
> sense
> if the documentation for that version is still available to them (+ i dont
> see what we lose by keeping older documentation available)

I can see one thing we lose - it would be very hard to support several
versions of documentation in wiki.

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 22:13, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I don't think having separate documentation for T5.0, T5.1 and other
> T5.x
> >> is not a good idea.
> >>

> > Sorry, actually what I was trying to say is _I don't think its a good
> > idea_... its definitely bad :)
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 23:11, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think having separate documentation for T5.0, T5.1 and other
> T5.x
> >> is not a good idea.
> >> I think it is reasonable to have separate documentation for versions
> having
> >> different major number (T3, T4, T5 etc.) but not for version that differ
> in
> >> minor version numbers.
> >> Why one would use earlier version of T5.0 instead of T5.1 if T5.1 is
> >> already released? Its okay if one will see feature that is still in
> >> development (say in trunk) while reading documentation of stable
> release.
> >> This will give him a reason to upgrade after release if he really wants
> this
> >> feature, or plan its work according to direction of ongoing tapestry
> >> development.
> >> So my point is keep all minor version updates together and only make new
> >> separate version of documentation when T6 release will be planned.

> the

> have
> be
> E.g.
> version
> user

> documentation
> This
> of
> version

> change
> fixed
> time)
> months.
> version

> I'd
> suggestions how

> >> --
> >> Dmitry Gusev
> >>
> >> AnjLab Team
> >> http://anjlab.com
> >>

> > --
> > Dmitry Gusev
> >
> > AnjLab Team
> > http://anjlab.com
> >

> --
> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
> Tapestry PMC / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: [DISCUSS] new documentation organization and versioning

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: [DISCUSS] new documentation organization and versioning

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> version in confluence.
>
> A yet another, more radical approach could come hand in hand with a change
> of how we develop and release Tapestry. Instead of working towards a fixed
> set of functionality and release when it's done (which might take some time)
> we could begin releasing at a fixed interval, say every two or three months.
> That way the current release version and the current development version
> wouldn't drift apart that much concerning documentation and possibly
> long-awaited new features. That way it might be enough to just have one
> version of the documentation and mark features not yet in the release
> version as such.
>
> There are possibly many other possibilities that I didn't think of and I'd
> like to discuss these. What do you think? Have you any other suggestions how

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: [DISCUSS] new documentation organization and versioning

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Remember that this discussion should center around documentation.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.