Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/27 04:30:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Manual vs Dynamic (Software Based) Load Balancing

I have a request to discuss regarding clustering.

master is basically ready. So the master of the cluster has a light version
of the slave's session object, and it is possible for the master to find
out the load across the cluster. The master can also kick out users from a
conference room that is hosted on any slave.

The question is know: How do we calculate which conference room is assigned
to which server?
Basically there is no need to have a configuration value in the
organization or conference room, that assigns the room to any server in the
cluster.
You can simply do that dynamically: *As soon as the first user enters the
conference room, the cluster checks which server has free capacities and
starts the conference room on that slave.* And then anybody joining the
conference will be redirected to the same server.

I basically like this idea, as it makes it more dynamic and it is likely
that you will use your given resources better with such a solution then by
manually assigning slave/servers to conference rooms (often nobody uses
those rooms and the slave/server will be just a zombie server that is
blocked but has nothing todo).

What do you think?

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DISCUSS] Manual vs Dynamic (Software Based) Load Balancing

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hallo Marcus,

please review this graphic:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/Cluster+Master-Slave+overview

What we want to cluster is the RTMP traffic. That has nothing todo with
Tomcat 7, except that Red5 runs in the Tomcat 7 servlet container.

And the session that we are talking about are not Tomcat sessions, they are
RTMP-Connections. Each RTMP connection is a session. Those RTMP connections
are handled via Red5 and not via Tomcat. We have on top another session
object that has a 1:1 relation to a RTMP Connection.

Your solution might fit for the clustering of the Wicket part that is
indeed implemented using standard Tomcat technologies. However, we are
currently concentrating on RTMP traffic, cause in our current setup, this
is the bottleneck.

Sebastian

>>> http://www.webbase-design.de
>>> http://www.wagner-sebastian.**com <http://www.wagner-sebastian.com>

Posted by Marcus Wellnitz <we...@datenwerk-it.de>.
Hello,

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Practically that would simply mean:
When the user enters the room he will ask the master:
Give me the Server entity for that session (aka "getServerForSession")

There will be no attribute needed in the Rooms Entity for that, and there
is no need to spread the server entity across all Users Entities.

On a later stage the method "getServerForSession" could be modified so that
if the user is of a specific organization, the default
(even/uniform/constant load across all slaves/servers) implementation is
overwritten with the server from the org.

If you don't have any "servers" configured, so you run actually no cluster,
it will simply return the current host (or null, what would mean not to
change the server's adress at all).

Sebastian

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Irina Arkhipets <ia...@unipro.ru>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
same for "Users" entity.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSS] Manual vs Dynamic (Software Based) Load Balancing

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Ok then lets go for it.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I like this approach :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSS] Manual vs Dynamic (Software Based) Load Balancing

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR