Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2009/06/08 22:54:43 UTC

Post JavaOne '09

A little OpenEJB-related JavaOne recap for those that are curious.  I
spoke with Reza Rahman on Tuesday in a BoF on using embeddable EJB 3.0
containers.  The talk went pretty well and a number of people were
very impressed and some very surprised with not just that it's
possible to do what we do, but the fact that it's so easy and fast as
well.  There were about thirty or so people that attended.  We got
some nice tweets and a blog post from Adam Bien, which is definitely
very appreciated (thanks Adam). Reza did the same talk solo on Monday
afternoon at CommunityOne, the free conference before the main
JavaOne.  He got about 40 at his talk.

The talk consisted of a short intro that explained the notion of
embeddable EJB containers then listed those the available
implementations; openejb, embedded jboss, easybeans, and glassfish
embedded.  We then did three sections of demos: unit testing; webapps
with ejbs inside; plain Java SE apps using embedded EJB containers.
For the first, I plucked a few choice examples from our repo.  On the
second, I revived our old MovieFun example that used to be CMP based
and updated it to use JPA.  I also added a webservice aspect to it and
created a couple Perl clients to manipulate it (though I didn't have
time to show that aspect).  That particular demo had a hickup as I was
using Eclipse, and despite it working fine previously, it seemed to
not really start tomcat.  So scrambled a bit and decided to just kill
Eclipse and do it the old fashioned way of unpacking a fresh tomcat,
deploying the moviefun.war and the openejb.war and then booted
tomcat.  Took less than a minute and Tomcat and the example were up
and running fine.  Hoping that turned out to be a net positive as
people got to see a start to finish setup that went pretty quick and
wasn't complicated.  The third demo built off of the moviefun webapp
and added a small single main class + mdb that listed on a JMS topic
and popped up notifications using the Java 6 SystemTray API.  For that
one I had a little Windows XP install running in Parallels so people
could see that it was truly a plain java client running in another VM
and not the Tomcat server or other server that was doing the magic.

Would have loved more time, but overall it went really well.

One thing it did is make me think we should really get some short
video tutorials up on the sight.  No doubt people would love them.

-David

Re: Post JavaOne '09

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:22 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> So I got a copy of ScreenFlow.  They were nice enough to supply us
> with a license for free as long as we have a "Created by ScreenFlow"
> link on the same page as our videos.  So here's the first one:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/EjbTestingWithEclipse.mov
>
> I'm not really sure how to encode this so that it's windows
> friendly.  Seems everyone is using flash for the most portable
> online videos.  Anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

Noticed today that the Sonatype guys were using a site called
vimeo.com which doesn't have the 10 minute cap that youtube has.  It
also lets you download the raw video file which is pretty cool.  Has
very short twitter-friendly URLs too.

I signed up for an account we can share and uploaded our screencast.

   http://vimeo.com/6149008

Ping me offline for account info.

Prepared a repost of the blog entry to be published Wednesday at noon
PDT.

   https://blogs.apache.org/preview/openejb/?previewEntry=screencast_ejb_unit_testing_with1

As always, changes, etc. are welcome.

-David

Re: Post JavaOne '09

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
I didn't make the slides, but I can ask Reza if he's willing to
share.  They were pretty much all bullets with no code or examples,
all that was in the demos I did.

Re: Post JavaOne '09

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi again,

Jonathan Gallimore-2 wrote:

> David,
>
> It sounds like it was a great presentation, many thanks for sharing how
> you
> got on. If some slides or video are available I'd love to see them.
>
> I know Jacek presented at GeeCon a short while ago, and I looked at the
> slides he shared with us too, which also looked great - many
> congratulations
> to both of you.
>
> I'm hoping I can work up the courage at some point to follow in your
> footsteps and present on OpenEJB. Are there any tips/experiences either of
> you could share for going about that?
>
> Regards
>
> Jon
>

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <
> jean-louis.monteiro@atosorigin.com> wrote:
>

>> Absolutely. It would be nice to have it and is possible to package it
>> will
>> all others.
>>
>> @David, could you share your presentation with us ?
>> Do you know if a webinar is available ?
>>
>> Jean-Louis
>>

>> mnour wrote:
>> >
>> > Great :), I think people will think again about Spring being the one
>> > and the only or the *lead* lightweight JEE container :).

>> up
>> that

>> do,
>> or
>> Adam
>> the

>> openejb,
>> SE
>> manipulate
>> demo
>> previously,
>> tomcat.
>> fine.
>> third
>> +
>> 6
>> running
>> doing

>> video

>> > --
>> > ----
>> > Thanks
>> > - Mohammad Nour
>> > - LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mnour
>> > ----
>> > "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep
>> moving"
>> > - Albert Einstein
>> >

>> --

-----