Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alan Murrell <si...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/19 21:03:22 UTC

[users@httpd] TransferLog vs CustomLog question

Hello,

Most of our customers are setup with the "TransferLog"
variable in their <VirtualHost> setup, which gives
relatively basic information.  One of our Customers
wanted more detail in their stats, so I changed the
"TransferLog logs/customerdomain.com" to "CustomLog
logs/customerdomain.com combined" in their
<VirtualHost> setup.  Since that change, it now
appears as though the number of visits to their site
has gone from about 500 per day to 5 or 6.  We use the
WebTrends reporting software.

Is this something to do with the way CustomLog and
TransferLog indicate visits, or would there be
something else in play here?

TIA for your advice.

Alan Murrell

Re: [users@httpd] TransferLog vs CustomLog question

Posted by Alan Murrell <si...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I just thought I would reply to my own post here since
I discovered the answer, and thought that if nothing
else, I would post the solution in case someone else
comes across this :-)

It turns out that the stats software had nothing to do
with how the visits were counted.  It seems that in
the format configuration for the "combined" log, there
is a '%v' for the virtual host name just before the
'%h', for the client IP address.  It is this virtual
hostname (of the website) that was being counted as a
"visit", since it was listed first in the line.

To illustrate, the regular "TransferLog" looks
something like:

111.222.333.444 - - ...

where '111.222.333.444' is the IP address of the
computer connecting to the site.

And the "combined" log was configured to look
something like:

www.customerdomain.com 111.222.333.444

where 'www.customerdomain.com' is the website being
connected to.