Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Douglas Atique <te...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/25 13:43:18 UTC

ApacheDS as the backend for OSGi R4 UserAdmin service

Hi,
I am very interested in both OSGi and LDAP for a Proof-on-Concept implementation of a large multiuser system in Java. I have heard that ApacheDS provides an implementation of the OSGi UserAdmin service backed by its LDAP directory and I would very much like to use it in my project. However, I haven't found any references other than a mailing list post that mentions it and a presentation by the same person.
I would like to know if this is really available and what its current status is.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Douglas

Re: ApacheDS as the backend for OSGi R4 UserAdmin service

Posted by Douglas Atique <te...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
In fact, I don't mind waiting a few months. For now I am only assessing what's available.

By the way, if you are directly involved in this development perhaps you wouldn't mind helping me understand how it works. I think this is the most important point for me right now, so if you could give me a little bit of insight into what you are doing, I would be most grateful.

I am completely newbie to LDAP and I can't figure out how LDAP, with extensible schemas which theoretically could be customized in a different way for each single ApacheDS deployment in the world, is to be tied to a specific role-user-group-permission model such as the one prescribed by UserAdmin, or the configuration information model defined by ConfigurationAdmin.

In short, how do you map OSGi concepts onto LDAP concepts (or vice-versa)?

Regards,
Douglas

Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org> wrote: I don't think this was ever released but it could still be in SVN
somewhere.  We are resurrecting the OSGi effort for Apache Directory Server
2.0 but I think we are going to start from scratch and do it as a team so
that we can all learn and support the effort.

Aside from this, I am also just starting to work on implementing
Configuration Admin, User Admin, and possibly some other OSGi services on
top of Apache Directory as both local and remote services.  Unfortunately
you are probably a few months to early to benefit from any of these efforts,
so keep watching and maybe we will have something in Q1 next year that may
be of benefit to you.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.