Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org> on 2016/08/01 08:06:45 UTC

Re: [VOTE] fundamental goals of Tamaya

in addition:
compared to other topics in this thread it isn't even OT to talk about
ds-config, because the suggested API is heavily influenced by it and we
already have a reality-check for ds-config. if there is no concrete and
common use-case (which isn't possible), there is no valid point against
ds-config (and therefore against the suggested api) imo.
general statements like "project xyz couldn't use it, but it isn't possible
to provide details" don't provide any useful feedback.
it should be always possible to show aspects/limitations/... in general. if
it isn't possible then the project (which couldn't use it) is that special
that it isn't representative for the majority and therefore it can't be a
valid argument against a suggestion/api/... which should fit for most (but
not all) projects out there.

regards,
gerhard

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
And especially if you look at overlapping concepts and items you mentioned
like ConfigQuery vs. ConfigOperator,
Look at Period ("2 years, 3 months and 4 days") vs. Duration ('34.5
seconds') IMHO highly redundant. Other parts of the JDK like JavaFX make no
difference, so that could have been simplified (if the Spec Lead was as
open to compromises as say Anatole or myself;-)

And

   - Temporal
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/Temporal.html>
   - TemporalAccessor
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/TemporalAccessor.html>
   - TemporalAdjuster
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/TemporalAdjuster.html>
   - TemporalAmount
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/TemporalAmount.html>
   - TemporalField
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/TemporalField.html>
   - TemporalQuery
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/TemporalQuery.html>
   - TemporalUnit
   <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/TemporalUnit.html>

Does that sound familiar?;-)

The Jodaisms in Joda-Money were transferred into JSR 354 in a "milder"
form. Stephen was member of the EG (after a JSR goes final it technically
no longer exists, only the Spec/Maintenance Lead) so not every single
element, but some were also modeled after and inspired by JSR 310 (or where
better applicable Joda-Money)

I'm not saying everything may be perfect and there are probably a few
redundancies like MonetaryQuery vs. MonetaryOperator, but it was developed
by an EG with members everywhere from "Crazy Bob" (as he worked at Square
then) to Stephen (also works in a finance-related firm I think) and
several, in the end just one CS employee. Plus individuals like myself or
Simon Martinelli. And JUG members. Otavio was clearly the most active
"adopter", but we had others like Raj and it helped solve some of Java's
oldest BUGS like lack of Indian numbering format (which even Java 9 btw.
remains unsolved AFAIK;-O)

Not only because Anatole was involved in both, some of the initial API
design was then inspired by JSR 354.

What happened between the start of JSR 354 and its Final stage can and
should happen here, too. If the ConfigQuery or ConfigOperator is found to
duplicate themselves, then let's try to combine them. If it was found to be
more of a supplement, then  maybe it's not even needed in the core API
(e.g. JSR 363 moved Measurement from the API into the SPI of its RI because
we did not want to force one way of modeling that onto users, even though
it's simply a pattern by Martin Fowler and e.g. OSGi has it, too)

In the spirit of CDI, trying to add more comments to JIRA tickets like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAMAYA-169 are probably best even if
this mailing list may not go away like java.net ;-)

Cheers,

Werner

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.