Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Andrew Kennedy <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2014/06/01 18:34:42 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Source code migration and process for committers and contributors

> There are a lot of challenges in incubation; dealing with
> IP clearance, getting a first release out, and acclimating to the ASF
> itself. Trying to pioneer new workflows and navigate the politics is a
> distraction to the effort to become a TLP and to ship software

+1

I think this is a very good point. I'd be happy to go along with whatever
Git workflow is preferred by the ASF, although in that case I think rather
than us trying to work out an acceptable process, the responsibility is on
Apache to define the process we should follow.

So, Dave, Chip et al, is there a definitive statement anywhere we can refer
to that describes the acceptable best practice Git workflow, and we will
just follow that?

Thanks,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? cloudsoft & software engineer : @grkvlt ;

Re: [PROPOSAL] Source code migration and process for committers and contributors

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Thanks for the guidance, David, and for the link to:

https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and

There are some nice features described there, including PR's going to
mailing list and IRC.  +1 to using it.

Text could be along the lines of:

* Contributors should fork and make pull requests to github
apache/incubator-brooklyn

* The canonical repository is at git-wip-us.apache.org .  This is
mirrored to the above github.

* The github accounts "brooklyn" and "brooklyncentral" are maintained
externally.
    They host ancillary blueprints and projects (non-ASF but Apache
licensed)
    and a mirror of the main project for convenience and backwards
compatibility.
    PR's for Apache Brooklyn should *not* be made against these accounts.

WDYT?

Best
Alex

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.