Posted to general@portals.apache.org by Ken Ramirez <kr...@TheJavaThinkTank.org> on 2005/01/14 21:22:45 UTC

Proposal for the "Gems" Project

Hello All,

I'd like to propose that we move the "Gems" project into the Apache
Portals project. This project provides a collection of reusable portlets
that can be used when building portal applications. Think of these
portlets as the little Gems that could be used on a Portal page.
Application usage ranges from:

   1. Community Portal Sites
   2. Intranet Portals
   3. Portal Based Vertical Market Applications
   4. And much more

This project would allow open source portal platforms as well as
commercial portal platforms to utilize and include one set of portlets
with their products that can be reused by the development community,
rather than being redesigned and rebuilt by each development team having
similar needs, hopefully reducing the "Reinvent The Wheel" problem.

A list of portlets that are being built for this project include:

# E-Mail Portlet
# Calendar Portlet
# Address Book Portlet
# Weather Portlet
# Sports Scores Portlet
# Blog Portlet
# RSS Feed Portlet
# Calculator Portlet
# Image Viewer Portlet
# Horoscope Portlet
# Google Search Portlet
# Ads by Google Portlet
# Google Groups Portlet
# Amazon Portlet
# UPS Tracking Portlet
# Fed-Ex Tracking Portlet
# Hang-Man Game Portlet
# Cards Game Portlet
# Cartoon of the Day Portlet
# Quote of the Day Portlet
# Dictionary Portlet
# Thesaurus Portlet
# Generic Datasource Seach Portlet (wikipedia data, corporate, etc.)
# Acronym search (internal personnel directory, etc..)
# Voting Portlet

The collection of portlets are all JSR-168 compliant portlets.
Developers can download them and use them in Portlet Containers like
Pluto or Full Portal Platforms like eXo, LifeRay, Jetspeed-2, etc.

The project is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license and there is
already an Apache charter for the project at:
http://wiki.apache.org/portals/GemsProposal

Currently, the project is hosted at Java.net and it has 45 subscribers
to the Observer list for the project. We also have a number of portlets
completed and several more being developed. We'd like to import the
generic JetSpeed-2 portlets into our project and make the Gems project
available for inclusion in JetSpeed-2 (as well as other open source
portal platforms).

Thanks for your time and I hope that we succeed in having this project
become an Apache Portals project.

--
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----
Stay on top of all things to do with JSR-168 Portlet and
Portal development by bookmarking the authority on the
subject: http://community.java.net/portlet
*
* News
* Weblogs
* Community Tips
* Portlet and Portal Projects
* Featured Articles
* And much more
*
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----
Ken Ramirez
Send mail to: mailto://kramirez@TheJavaThinkTank.org
Check out the website: http://www.TheJavaThinkTank.org
Check out my Blog at: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/ken_ramirez
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----

Re: Proposal for the "Gems" Project

Posted by Ken Ramirez <kr...@TheJavaThinkTank.org>.
> I'm definitely in favor of this project happening.  I've looked
> through the charter and think it's a great start.
>
> I would like to see some more definition around the initial state of
> the project.  Since this is an existing project, I assume there is an
> initial set of committees, an initial set of portlets that will be
> imported, etc. . .could you provide some info on where that sits?

Currently, there are three portlets in the project and about four more
being developed. The Fortune (or quote of the day) portlet is complete.
The ImageViewerPortlet is in the project, and the GoogleSearchPortlet
will be in by the end of the weekend.

As for committers, I'm the owner of the project on Java.net and there
are two other committers at this point. I've been very careful to not
give out the "keys to the door" just yet until I see content coming from
individuals. Those that have gained the developer role, are active
participants and have been providing code, answers, questions, etc. The
rest of the 45 members are just observers. Some of the others are
presently writing portlets and do have tasks assigned to them, but until
they have provided the project with contributions, I've kept them on the
Observer role.

Hope this answers your questions and let me know if you have any further
questions.

Thanks,

Ken

--