Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by JD Daniels <jd...@datatrio.com> on 2003/05/30 16:39:30 UTC

Basic Usage / Hosting Questions

Hey everyone,

Among Other things, I am an ISP, and have put together two machines to get
all my perl/php crap working under cocoon. I have this outstanding trouble,
but really really want to make a production machine for multuple domain
hosting.

So I have the following questions:

What would be the best way to setup a cocoon server for multiple users?

Right now I have one machine with tomcat 4.18 and virtual host containers
      <Host name="www.domain.com" debug="0" appBase="hosts/domain"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <Alias>domain.com</Alias>
        <Alias>64.114.x.x</Alias>
      </Host>

      <Host name="www.someotherdomain.com" debug="0"
appBase="hosts/someotherdomain" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <Alias>someotherdomain.com</Alias>
        <Alias>64.114.x.x</Alias>
      </Host>

So question one: Am I better off from a server resource standpoint, to have
ONE installation of Cocoon, and point the appBase to a subdirectory of it?
Right now, I have one machine with 4 hosts on it, all running thier own
complete copies of cocoon. To this point, I have only been using some of the
functionality while I figure out the basics enough to be able to handle
support calls. My numero-uno problem is this:

In Cocoon error and access logs :
ERROR   (2003-05-28) 14:09.30:185   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Cocoon got an Exception while trying to close
stream.
java.io.IOException: The stream has been closed

Or:
ERROR   (2003-05-29) 18:09.07:920   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Cocoon got an Exception while trying to close
stream.
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Just seems to happen randomly. Although reliably.
So then after about 8 of those babies I get this in catalina.out
Logging Error: Unknown error writing event.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

And well, then nothing works....
(However, my career started by trial and error perl/php hacking, and I
simply do not understand java memory management / garbage collecting...
yet )

This looks like a Tomcat trouble, But I can't figure it out :(

Help?
Ideas? :)

JD

Re: Basic Usage / Hosting Questions

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 03:39 PM, JD Daniels wrote:

> So question one: Am I better off from a server resource standpoint, to
> have
> ONE installation of Cocoon, and point the appBase to a subdirectory of
> it?

A popular way of running several cocoon-based projects as separate
virtual hosts, is to use one instance of Cocoon, serving each project
via a sub-sitemap, using virtualhost and mod_proxy in Apache HTTPD to
point to each one.

See: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheModProxy

The downside of this may be when your Clients all want different
component declarations, like their own datasources, input-modules,
lucene indexes, etc.

Here is an example from one of my Apache httpd configs:

     # If mod_proxy cannot connect to the servlet container, we want
     # to display a nice static page saying the reason. This is a
     # SHTML page (using the Server-Side-Includes filter)

     ErrorDocument 502 /errors/service-unavailable.shtml
     ErrorDocument 500 /errors/server-error.shtml
     ErrorDocument 404 /errors/document-unavailable.shtml

     ProxyPreserveHost On
     ProxyErrorOverride On

     NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerName www.foo.org

     # eg. get Apache to serve directly out of a Cocoon project
     # Serve foo.org's CSS
     Alias /style/ "/Library/TomCat/webapps/cocoon/foo/parts/css/"
     <Directory "/Library/TomCat/webapps/cocoon/foo/parts/css">
       Options Indexes MultiViews
       AllowOverride None
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
     </Directory>

     # don't proxy any request beginning with the following keywords:
     ProxyPass        /errors/ !
     ProxyPass        /style/ !

     # send everything else to the foo sub-sitemap
     ProxyPass        / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/foo/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/foo/

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerName www.bar.org

     # eg. a custom log file for bar.org
     CustomLog "logs/bar_log" common

     # don't proxy any request beginning with the following keywords:
     ProxyPass        /errors/ !

     # eg. serve the Cocoon distribution
     ProxyPass        /cocoon/ http://localhost:8080/cocoon/
     ProxyPassReverse /cocoon/ http://localhost:8080/cocoon/

     # send everything else to the bar sub-sitemap
     ProxyPass        / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/bar/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/cocoon/bar/

</VirtualHost>

In order for Apache to be able to over-ride Cocoon's error pages, you
need to modify Cocoon's error handling like below, to send out the
appropriate HTTP Response code.

<map:handle-errors>
   <map:select type="exception">
     <map:when test="not-found">
       <map:generate type="notifying"/>
       <map:transform src="stylesheets/system/error2html.xslt">
         <map:parameter name="contextPath"
value="{request:contextPath}"/>
         <map:parameter name="pageTitle" value="Resource not found"/>
       </map:transform>
       <map:serialize status-code="404"/>
     </map:when>
     <map:otherwise>
       <map:generate type="notifying"/>
       <map:transform src="stylesheets/system/error2html.xslt">
         <map:parameter name="contextPath"
value="{request:contextPath}"/>
       </map:transform>
       <map:serialize status-code="500"/>