Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com> on 2009/09/03 05:09:17 UTC

antcontrib or antelope

Hi,

I see similar tasks from AntContrib and antelope.

Which one is the right one and the latest one which is in having active
development..

Some of the tasks in both seem to be different in signature too.

Which one of these, this forum would suggest..

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com

Re: antcontrib or antelope

Posted by Dale Anson <da...@grafidog.com>.
Once upon a time, ant-contrib was under fairly active development, and
I proposed to the ant-contrib admins to merge my Antelope tasks with
their project since there seemed to be a good fit between the two
projects.  Not long after that, the focus of ant-contrib seemed to be
on the C compiler task rather than building a collection of
third-party tasks.  I didn't feel that it was worthwhile to continue
to merge and maintain the Antelope tasks in ant-contrib since the
release cycle was so slow.  Honestly, there hasn't a lot of
development on either project.  I've done a few bug fixes in Antelope
and would like to do some significant rewrites in the GUI code.  The
Antelope tasks are pretty solid, as far as I know.  My intent is to
continue to maintain and apply bug fixes to Antelope, and I have no
problem with putting up a new release of the tasks as fixes are
available.

Dale

Re: antcontrib or antelope

Posted by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com>.
Thank you Gilbert..

Re: antcontrib or antelope

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
Raja Nagendra Kumar schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I see similar tasks from AntContrib and antelope.
>
> Which one is the right one and the latest one which is in having active
> development..
>
> Some of the tasks in both seem to be different in signature too.

= Release dates =
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ant-contrib/files/
antcontrib 1.0b3 => Thu Nov 02 2006
http://antelope.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList;jsessionid=BC467EDA2CE7413493FF7FD6AC8195F2
antelope 3.5.1 Tasks => Fri Jan 09 2009

seems like ant contrib development has stopped !?

According to http://antelope.tigris.org/ =
/*
The Antelope Project also provides a set of additional tasks that
provide functionality not found in the standard tasks distributed with
Ant. Work is underway to merge the Antelope tasks with the AntContrib
project.
*/

there's an intersection between both but the merge is not completed yet.

= Differences =
beside the tasks, Antelope provides a graphical user interface for
running Ant and a jEdit plugin, see description on
http://antelope.tigris.org/ =
/*
As a stand-alone application, Antelope provides the ability to create
and edit Ant build files, the ability to run build file targets, and can
trace target and task execution in a quasi-debug mode. Output from the
build process can be captured to a file and/or to screen and performance
statistics can be gathered to guide optimization efforts.
*/

= Problems =
when using the latest antcontrib 1.0b3 the assert task did'nt work for
me, whereas the assert of antcontrib 1.0b2 and the assert from Antelope
are working =
http://marc.info/?l=ant-user&m=118061703508041&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=ant-user&m=119451257231990&w=2

I would try both, many tasks are very similar, personally i prefer
antelope, because antcontrib development remains static.

btw.there's another great Ant addon you should take a look at
AntXtras, see =

http://jwaresoftware.org/wiki/home
http://antxtras.sourceforge.net/

Regards, Gilbert