Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Douglas, Rory" <Ro...@na.sunchem.com> on 2002/06/24 18:12:10 UTC

example mod_jk2 configuration for Apache 2.0.39

Hi there

I haven't set-up anything really complex but the following setup should
work. I haven't got around to trying load-balancing, if anyone does that and
gets it working, please share!

-------------------------------
in HTTPD.CONF (in Apache2\conf)
-------------------------------
  LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.dll

-------------------------------------
in JK2.PROPERTIES (in Tomcat4.1\conf)
-------------------------------------
I just commented out everything. Note that if you are using an AJP connector
with port other than the default of 8009 you should specify here (where it
says channelSocket.port). If you comment everything out JK seems to default
to 8009 (and then 8010, 8011 and so on if you have more than one connector).
If you want need specific ports for multiple connectors then specify
channelSocket.port multiple times e.g

  channelSocket.port=8014
  channelSocket.port=8018

if you have two AJP connectors specified in server.xml with port numbers
8014 and 8018.

----------------------
in WORKERS2.PROPERTIES
----------------------

I just copied this file from tomcat4.1\jtc-src\jk\conf into Apache2\conf and
edited it a bit. The really important bits seem to be:

  [channel.socket:localhost:8009]
  info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
  debug=20
  tomcatId=Tomcat-Standalone

that actually sets up a worker. I understand that you can specify

  group=someGroupName

and create groups of workers for load-balancing. I also believe that every
worker created without specfiying a group is in the default group (I think
it is "lb").

To map contexts use [uri:] blocks like so:

  [uri:/test]
  info=Test context mapping
  debug=20
  context=/test

Again, here you can specify which workers serve that context by specifying
group=groupName

It's a good idea to keep these parts around too:

  [status:]
  info=Status worker, displays runtime informations

  [uri:/jkstatus/*]
  info=Display status information and checks the config file for changes.
  group=status:

you can then hit http://yourapacheserver/jkstatus and get a loads of jk info
that might help you catch config errors

There are some docs in tomcat4.1\jtc-src\jk\doc\jk2 that might help (but
they're not great).

Hope this is useful to someone
cheers
Rory

Posted by Liam Morley <lm...@gdc.wpi.edu>.
Rory,
thank you very much; that'll get me started. I'm guessing you're running
with Tomcat4.1; I'm trying this with Tomcat 4.0.4. With JK1, there was a
<Listener> you could plug in to your $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml
(<Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig".../>).
Does that still exist? Are there any changes to the server.xml and
web.xml that you can point out (for example, the mod_jk2 version of
<Connector className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector" .../>?)

Thanks once again, this is a big help.
Liam Morley