Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2004/07/25 02:41:44 UTC

[J2] Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Hi all,

Currently, the struts-portlet framework is within its own subproject.
Recently, Roger Ruttiman added PHP and Perl portlet support to J2.

Other web frameworks I expect J2 to support for Portlet development in the
(near) future are at least Velocity, JSF and Spring.

I propose to create a new portlet-frameworks subfolder under J2 to group these
these framework wrappers/bridges, each as a separate subproject so they can be
used independently.

To allow as much independence on J2 itself so portlets based on the bridges can
also be deployed on other JSR-168 compliant portals, I also propose that these
bridges should not contain any J2 specific code but only use J2 agnostic
interfaces. The StrutsPortlet and the PHPPortlet already have such a spi.
Jetspeed implementations of these interfaces should of course *not* be part of
these subprojects but can go into the commons subproject.

Several common features of these bridges (like the spi of the StrutsPortlet and
PHPPortlet which have the same functionality, or url parameter rewriting) should
as much possibly be put in a common subproject.

The current o.a.j.portlet.ServletPortlet is also generic enough to be put there.

As a side note:
Next week I will start creating a base ServletRenderFilterPortlet which will
(optional) allow SiteMesh to decorate the render result of portlets using
servlet 2.3 (only from servlet 2.4 servlet filters can be used for included
requests). I will then extend StrutsPortlet from the ServletRenderFilterPortlet
so SiteMesh can be used to decorate Struts portlets. If it all works out well
the ServletRenderFilterPortlet can also go into the framework common package.

I like also to propose a common base package for these bridges:
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.

Then you will get:
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.cocoon
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.common
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.myfaces
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.perl
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.php
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.spring
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.struts
   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.velocity
   (getting excited here)

As artifacts of these projects I propose:
   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-<version>.jar, and
   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-spi-<version>.jar (if needed)

Then you will get artifacts like jetspeed-framework-struts-2.0-a1-dev.jar and
jetspeed-framework-common-2.0-a1-dev.jar

If we can agree on this proposal I'd like to have the struts portlet moved into
this new structure early next week, so please be kind to respond asap.

Regards,

Ate

Re: [J2] Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Scott T. Weaver wrote:

> I REALLY don't care for the commons moniker, it is so overused.  I would
> prefer org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
Actually, I don't either :-)
I just accommodated for the name (Commons) of the new Portals subproject Raphaël
suggested.

Let me improve on the proposal then as such:
- temp J2 subfolder
     portals-portlet-framework
- base package:
     org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
- base uri for taglibs specifications:
     http://portals.apache.org/portlet/framework/
     Example:
       http://portals.apache.org/portlet/framework/struts/tags-portlet
- Maven groupId:
     jetspeed2
- Maven artifactId:
     portals-portlet-framework-<framework>-<version>
     Example:
       portals-portlet-framework-struts-0.2.jar

Note: I replaced the portals-commons as the maven groupId to jetspeed2 again.
The maven attributes are not that important for now and can be changed if needed
when/if we get a new Portals subproject.
But, the base uri for taglibs is kinda important because if that changes all our
  jsp's have to be changed for that :-(

If this is ok I will update my changes and commit them as such.

Regards, Ate

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.

Ate Douma wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Then you will get:
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.cocoon
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.common
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.myfaces
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.perl
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.php
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.spring
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.struts
>>>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.velocity
>>>   (getting excited here)
>>>
>>> As artifacts of these projects I propose:
>>>   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-<version>.jar, and
>>>   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-spi-<version>.jar (if needed)
>>>
>>> Then you will get artifacts like
>>> jetspeed-framework-struts-2.0-a1-dev.jar and
>>> jetspeed-framework-common-2.0-a1-dev.jar
>>>
>>> If we can agree on this proposal I'd like to have the struts portlet
>>> moved into this new structure early next week, so please be kind to

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
* -------------------------------------- *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *

Re: [J2] Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
Great idea! +1

Ate Douma wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Currently, the struts-portlet framework is within its own subproject.
> Recently, Roger Ruttiman added PHP and Perl portlet support to J2.
>
> Other web frameworks I expect J2 to support for Portlet development in
> the (near) future are at least Velocity, JSF and Spring.
>
> I propose to create a new portlet-frameworks subfolder under J2 to
> group these these framework wrappers/bridges, each as a separate
> subproject so they can be used independently.
>
> To allow as much independence on J2 itself so portlets based on the
> bridges can also be deployed on other JSR-168 compliant portals, I
> also propose that these bridges should not contain any J2 specific
> code but only use J2 agnostic interfaces. The StrutsPortlet and the
> PHPPortlet already have such a spi. Jetspeed implementations of these
> interfaces should of course *not* be part of these subprojects but can
> go into the commons subproject.
>
> Several common features of these bridges (like the spi of the
> StrutsPortlet and PHPPortlet which have the same functionality, or url
> parameter rewriting) should as much possibly be put in a common
> subproject.
>
> The current o.a.j.portlet.ServletPortlet is also generic enough to be
> put there.
>
> As a side note:
> Next week I will start creating a base ServletRenderFilterPortlet
> which will (optional) allow SiteMesh to decorate the render result of
> portlets using servlet 2.3 (only from servlet 2.4 servlet filters can
> be used for included requests). I will then extend StrutsPortlet from
> the ServletRenderFilterPortlet so SiteMesh can be used to decorate
> Struts portlets. If it all works out well the
> ServletRenderFilterPortlet can also go into the framework common package.
>
> I like also to propose a common base package for these bridges:
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.
>
> Then you will get:
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.cocoon
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.common
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.myfaces
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.perl
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.php
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.spring
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.struts
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.velocity
>   (getting excited here)
>
> As artifacts of these projects I propose:
>   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-<version>.jar, and
>   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-spi-<version>.jar (if needed)
>
> Then you will get artifacts like
> jetspeed-framework-struts-2.0-a1-dev.jar and
> jetspeed-framework-common-2.0-a1-dev.jar
>
> If we can agree on this proposal I'd like to have the struts portlet
> moved into this new structure early next week, so please be kind to
> respond asap.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ate

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
* -------------------------------------- *

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mindspring.com>.
+1 on the framework.  I like the idea of separating them from J2.  Thus
a failure building a framework will NOT cause a failure in the J2 build.
  The frameworks can also be released independently from J2, like Maven
plugins are independent from Maven.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Raphaël Luta wrote:
> [Discussion moved to general@portals.apache.org]
>
> Ate Douma wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently, the struts-portlet framework is within its own subproject.
>> Recently, Roger Ruttiman added PHP and Perl portlet support to J2.
>>
>> Other web frameworks I expect J2 to support for Portlet development in
>> the (near) future are at least Velocity, JSF and Spring.
>>
>> I propose to create a new portlet-frameworks subfolder under J2 to
>> group these these framework wrappers/bridges, each as a separate
>> subproject so they can be used independently.
>>
>> To allow as much independence on J2 itself so portlets based on the
>> bridges can also be deployed on other JSR-168 compliant portals, I
>> also propose that these bridges should not contain any J2 specific
>> code but only use J2 agnostic interfaces. The StrutsPortlet and the
>> PHPPortlet already have such a spi. Jetspeed implementations of these
>> interfaces should of course *not* be part of these subprojects but can
>> go into the commons subproject.
>>
>> Several common features of these bridges (like the spi of the
>> StrutsPortlet and PHPPortlet which have the same functionality, or url
>> parameter rewriting) should as much possibly be put in a common
>> subproject.
>>
>> The current o.a.j.portlet.ServletPortlet is also generic enough to be
>> put there.
>>

> If I read correctly what you propose, it's actually creating a
> repository of useful JSR168 compliant portlets that can be used with any
> compliant container.
What I propose are not *complete* JSR168 compliant portlets in the meaning that
you would be able to just deploy them...

These portlet frameworks allow common web frameworks to be used for portlet
*development*. Maybe some only need a little configuration in portlet.xml (as I
think goes for the PerlPortlet from Roger Ruttiman) but most will need to be
used *in* portlets.

> I'm definitely +1 on the idea but I think such a repository would need
> to drop the reference to Jetspeed so that as many developpers from
> many different communities within the ASF or outside can join.
+1

> Maybe such a project could be called "Portals Commons" and work somewhat
> like Jakarta Commons, excpet that sub-projects of Portal Commons
> would only be JSR168 compliant portlet applications.
+1
But, how much time would it take to setup such a new subproject under Portals
(cvs, website, access etc)?
I'm not long enough committer that I have the experience nor the knowledge how
that is done and who or what is involved.

The consequence of my proposal already requires me to change the package and
resource location naming of the Struts Portlet Framework and has therefore
negative impact on our own portlet development which is going to gain momentum
real soon.

I'm all for putting these in a Portals Commons but don't like to refactor our
own portlet code for too often.
If I anticipate the creation of such a new portals commons subproject I propose
the following package/resource definitions:

Base package:
   org.apache.portals.commons.

Then you will get:
   org.apache.portals.commons.common
     (provides generic features and spi like for struts, php)
   org.apache.portals.commons.myfaces
   org.apache.portals.commons.perl
   org.apache.portals.commons.php
   org.apache.portals.commons.spring
   org.apache.portals.commons.struts
   org.apache.portals.commons.velocity

For taglib uri specifications:
   http://portals.apache.org/commons/

The struts portlet taglib then will have as uri:
   http://portals.apache.org/commons/struts/tags-portlet

Maven groupId: portals-commons
Maven artifactId: portals-commons-<framework>-<version>

Then you will get:

/repository/portals-commons/jars
   portals-commons-common-0.1.jar
   portals-commons-php-0.1.jar
   portals-commons-perl-0.1.jar
   portals-commons-struts-0.2.jar

Note: I simplified things by dropping the framework part but that might lead to
confusion and/or conflicts (namespace) when the Commons subproject in the future
would also supply complete portlet applications and other resources.

I have already started refactoring the Struts Portlet framework (almost done) in
anticipation of my original proposal accepted and can perform the above changes
very quickly.

But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new portals-commons
subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my original proposed
portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be moved once the Commons subproject
is ready.

> IMO, the usefulness of the Struts Portlet or Perl/PHP Portlet
> applications way exceeds the scope of Jetspeed and should be promoted
> accordingly.
While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2 (once it is
released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun intended) these :-)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Cc'ed to the dev list as I'm not sure all J2 committers subscribed to the
general portals list (as I didn't yet before, shame on me).

Raphaël Luta wrote:

> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>  > Repost of a response I already send to the Jetspeed dev list (missed
> the move to this list).
>  >
>  > Raphaël Luta wrote:
>  >
>  >> Ate Douma wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Several common features of these bridges (like the spi of the
> StrutsPortlet and PHPPortlet which have the same functionality, or url
> parameter rewriting) should as much possibly be put in a common subproject.
>  >>>
>  >>> The current o.a.j.portlet.ServletPortlet is also generic enough to
> be put there.
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >> If I read correctly what you propose, it's actually creating a
> repository of useful JSR168 compliant portlets that can be used with any
>  >> compliant container.
>  >
>  >
>  > What I propose are not *complete* JSR168 compliant portlets in the
> meaning that you would be able to just deploy them...
>  >
>  > These portlet frameworks allow common web frameworks to be used for
> portlet *development*. Maybe some only need a little configuration in
> portlet.xml (as I think goes for the PerlPortlet from Roger Ruttiman)
> but most will need to be used *in* portlets.
>  >

> OK. Let's just settle on the following defintiions then: these
> portlets/frmeworks do not require any Jetspeed specific API to work as
> expected. Agreed ?
Yes.

>  >
>  >>
>  >> Maybe such a project could be called "Portals Commons" and work
> somewhat
>  >> like Jakarta Commons, excpet that sub-projects of Portal Commons
>  >> would only be JSR168 compliant portlet applications.
>  >
>  >
>  > +1
>  > But, how much time would it take to setup such a new subproject under
> Portals (cvs, website, access etc)?
>  > I'm not long enough committer that I have the experience nor the
> knowledge how that is done and who or what is involved.
>  >

> I don't think it should matter. you don't decide to stay within a
> project just to avoid setting up the infrastructure required for a
> new sub-project.
> The main consequence of not staying within Jetspeed is that creating
> such a sub-project requires Portals PMC awareness and approval which
> is a good thing in my book.
> I think we can easily wait 1 or 2 weeks for the infrastructure guys
> to setup the repositories and mailing-lists and even possibly
> give them a hand there.
> It's much better to think of long term community benefits than short
> term delay avoidance.
I fully agree, don't get me wrong.

But, I am technically responsible for several portlet projects which are going
to use my struts portlet framework starting next week. For this I have to write
instructions, specifications, guidelines and the infrastructure.
I cannot afford rewriting these as well as have them change all the package and
resource references (one in each JSP for the taglib!).

If the PMC at least could agree on the project, package and resource (taglib
uri) naming proposal then I can anticipate on this. By temporarily storing the
frameworks under J2 (in my proposed folder portals-commons) the creation and
configuration of the new project can be done without rush.

If I have your (and other committers) support for this proposal, and none is
against it, I am willing to take the chance the PMC might decide against it or
not as I anticipated (e.g. an other naming choosen).

Would this be acceptable?

>  > The consequence of my proposal already requires me to change the
> package and resource location naming of the Struts Portlet Framework and
> has therefore negative impact on our own portlet development which is
> going to gain momentum real soon.
>  >
>  > I'm all for putting these in a Portals Commons but don't like to
> refactor our own portlet code for too often.
>  > If I anticipate the creation of such a new portals commons subproject
> I propose the following package/resource definitions:
>  >

> +1 (but subject to PMC approval which I'm currently not part of)
>
>  > <snip portal-commons naming proposal>
>
>  >
>  > Note: I simplified things by dropping the framework part but that
> might lead to confusion and/or conflicts (namespace) when the Commons
> subproject in the future would also supply complete portlet applications
> and other resources.
>  >
>  > I have already started refactoring the Struts Portlet framework
> (almost done) in anticipation of my original proposal accepted and can
> perform the above changes very quickly.
>  >
>  > But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
>  > Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new
> portals-commons subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my original
> proposed portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be moved once the
> Commons subproject is ready.
>  >

> Are you really in such a hurry to commit those changes ? I'm personnally
> -0 on such moves before a consensus is achieved but I understand that
> you may specific business developments depending on those packages.
See above. I don't like it myself to rush things like this but the projects I'm
responsible for are rushed themselves and so I must follow :-(

>  >>
>  >> IMO, the usefulness of the Struts Portlet or Perl/PHP Portlet
> applications way exceeds the scope of Jetspeed and should be promoted
>  >> accordingly.
>  >
>  >
>  > While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2
> (once it is released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun
> intended) these  :-)
>  >

> I certainly hope J2 to make an impression but at the same time I'd
> definitely like to work towards improving the overall value of the
> Portals project. I'll be extremely happy if we manage to create
> enough diversity and communities within Portals so that it can
> become *the* reference site for quality portal related code.
And so will I :-)

Re: [J2] Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Raphaël Luta wrote:

> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>  > Repost of a response I already send to the Jetspeed dev list (missed
> the move to this list).
>  >
>  > Raphaël Luta wrote:
>  >
>  >> Ate Douma wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Several common features of these bridges (like the spi of the
> StrutsPortlet and PHPPortlet which have the same functionality, or url
> parameter rewriting) should as much possibly be put in a common subproject.
>  >>>
>  >>> The current o.a.j.portlet.ServletPortlet is also generic enough to
> be put there.
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >> If I read correctly what you propose, it's actually creating a
> repository of useful JSR168 compliant portlets that can be used with any
>  >> compliant container.
>  >
>  >
>  > What I propose are not *complete* JSR168 compliant portlets in the
> meaning that you would be able to just deploy them...
>  >
>  > These portlet frameworks allow common web frameworks to be used for
> portlet *development*. Maybe some only need a little configuration in
> portlet.xml (as I think goes for the PerlPortlet from Roger Ruttiman)
> but most will need to be used *in* portlets.
>  >

> OK. Let's just settle on the following defintiions then: these
> portlets/frmeworks do not require any Jetspeed specific API to work as
> expected. Agreed ?
Yes.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: [J2] VOTE: Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Raphael Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
[Dropped the cc: to Jetspeed-dev, by now everyone interested should be
on general@portals :) ]

Ate Douma wrote:

> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the package
> naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):
>
>   [X] org.apache.portals.bridges.
>   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
>   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.

I agree that bridges is the better of the 3 propositions.

> Once I've committed my changes (temporarily) in the J2 repository I'd
> like to know how to proceed for proposing a new Portals subproject
> (Commons, Bridges, whatever).
> I've found the instructions for creating a complete new ASF project but
> this concerns just a subproject. As I understood from Raphael Luta this
> is up to the PMC to decide.
> Well, first of all, who *is* on the Portals PMC? I couldn't find it
> anywhere and  that would be nice to know anyway.
> Secondly, can someone who is member of the PMC enlighten me how to proceed?

That I know for sure:
- Santiago Gala (PMC Chair)
- David Taylor
- Carsten Ziegler

Beyond that, I guess most of the usual suspects are part of the PMC
(Scott, Paul, Jeremy, etc...). Note that if you wish to join the PMC you
need simply to ask and the current PMC members will consider the request.

To officialy request a decision on creating a sub-project, a mail like
this one on general@portals is in theory enough, although you may
want to cc pmc@portals.apache.org to make sure the PMC members are
paying attention.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2004, at 5:50 AM, Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>
>> Ate Douma wrote:
>>
>>> Julie thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> I've been delayed on proceeding with committing my latest proposal
>>> (which I forgot to cc to this list so here is the link:
>>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=22&msgNo=16580).
>>>
>>> Scott Weaver also wasn't too keen on using "commons" and suggested
>>> "portlet.framework". But "bridges" is I think an even better
>>> alternative (sigh:  I suppose I'm going to refactor my own changes
>>> for the third time).
>>>
>>> Because of my own delay I now want to postpone committing my changes
>>> one more day.
>>>
>>> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
>>> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the
>>> package naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):
>>>
>>>   [x] org.apache.portals.bridges.
>>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
>>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.
>

> Sorry I've been on vacation, coming in a little late here (hopefully not
> too late)
> I've been writing about this concept a lot recently
That might be interesting. Something you are willing/allowed to share?

, and in my mind, it
> always seems like 'frameworks', although bridges sounds good too, it has
> a slight negative connotation as in 'bridging' from one thing to
> another, as opposed to frameworks being a foundation for building apps upon
>
> [x] org.apache.portals.frameworks
Never too late :-) although I've already started refactoring (again) going for
bridges now.
I understand your argument and agree to some degree with it. It depends on the
"framework" on which to build though I think.
Some of the mentioned "frameworks" (struts, jsf, spring) are proper frameworks
in their own respect. One using a "bridge" to these frameworks is more likely
using mainly those frameworks features, the "bridge" should probably be less
considered as such.
Which doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see "full" portlet frameworks hosted under
   Portals though :-) under "Commons" or even another subproject.

Considering the votes now given (bridges: 6, frameworks: 1) I will go for the
bridges proposal from Julie.

With regards,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jul 29, 2004, at 5:50 AM, Scott T. Weaver wrote:

> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> Julie thanks for the response.
>>
>> I've been delayed on proceeding with committing my latest proposal
>> (which I forgot to cc to this list so here is the link:
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=22&msgNo=16580).
>>
>> Scott Weaver also wasn't too keen on using "commons" and suggested
>> "portlet.framework". But "bridges" is I think an even better
>> alternative (sigh:  I suppose I'm going to refactor my own changes
>> for the third time).
>>
>> Because of my own delay I now want to postpone committing my changes
>> one more day.
>>
>> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
>> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the
>> package naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):
>>
>>   [x] org.apache.portals.bridges.
>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.

Sorry I've been on vacation, coming in a little late here (hopefully
not too late)
I've been writing about this concept a lot recently, and in my mind, it

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
Ate Douma wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Note: I simplified things by dropping the framework part but that
>>> might lead to confusion and/or conflicts (namespace) when the
>>> Commons subproject in the future would also supply complete portlet
>>> applications and other resources.
>>>
>>> I have already started refactoring the Struts Portlet framework
>>> (almost done) in anticipation of my original proposal accepted and
>>> can perform the above changes very quickly.
>>>
>>> But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
>>> Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new
>>> portals-commons subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my
>>> original proposed portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be
>>> moved once the Commons subproject is ready.

>>> While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2
>>> (once it is released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
* -------------------------------------- *

Posted by Gaurav Vaish <ga...@gmail.com>.
Ditto
+1 for bridges.

Gaurav

Posted by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org>.

Ate Douma wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Note: I simplified things by dropping the framework part but that
>>> might lead to confusion and/or conflicts (namespace) when the
>>> Commons subproject in the future would also supply complete portlet
>>> applications and other resources.
>>>
>>> I have already started refactoring the Struts Portlet framework
>>> (almost done) in anticipation of my original proposal accepted and
>>> can perform the above changes very quickly.
>>>
>>> But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
>>> Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new
>>> portals-commons subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my
>>> original proposed portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be
>>> moved once the Commons subproject is ready.

>>> While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2
>>> (once it is released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun

Julie MacNaught
IBM Research
jmacna@apache.org
jmacna@us.ibm.com

Re: [J2] VOTE: Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> (almost done) in anticipation of my original proposal accepted and can
> perform the above changes very quickly.
>
> But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
> Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new
> portals-commons subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my original
> proposed portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be moved once the
> Commons subproject is ready.
>

>> IMO, the usefulness of the Struts Portlet or Perl/PHP Portlet
>> applications way exceeds the scope of Jetspeed and should be promoted
>> accordingly.
>
> While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2
> (once it is released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun
> intended) these  :-)
>

>> --
>> Raphael Luta - raphael@apache.org
>> Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java

Julie MacNaught
IBM Research
jmacna@apache.org
jmacna@us.ibm.com

Re: [J2] Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Roger Ruttimann wrote:
> +1 on the Framework.
I've already started refactoring :-)
So far I've got the struts portlet framework done and the struts-demo moved
under applications (so I could remove the struts-portlet root folder).
For the original StrutsServletContextProvider interface (which is the same as
your PHPServletContextProvider) I created a new ServletContextProvider interface
in the new common portlet framework and a corresponding
ServletContextProviderImpl in commons.
Note: I left the StrutsContextProviderImpl for the time being (but with a
@deprecated tag) because I don't know if the Struts Portlet is used in Fusion
for instance. Once all are migrated to the new interface I want to drop both the
Struts specific interface and implementation.

If you want I can do the work for the PHP framework like I did for the Struts
Portlet framework, replace the usage of the PHPServletContextProvider with
ServletContextProvider and PHPServletContextProviderImpl with
ServletContextProviderImpl.

Note the changed proposal for using a new Portals Commons subproject based on
the suggestion of Raphaël Luta.
I don't know yet what the outcome of that will be but if positive I will do it
according to the latest proposal.

> I submitted the Perl and PHP framework as portlet applications (no
> dependencies on J2) which could easily ported over to the the proposed
> framework.
This is correct for the PHP framework but the Perl framework is still dependent
on J2 JetspeedPortletContext... As such it cannot be moved yet.

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@apache.org>.
+1 on the Framework.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Small corrections to my proposal below

Ate Douma wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Currently, the struts-portlet framework is within its own subproject.
> Recently, Roger Ruttiman added PHP and Perl portlet support to J2.
>
> Other web frameworks I expect J2 to support for Portlet development in
> the (near) future are at least Velocity, JSF and Spring.
>
> I propose to create a new portlet-frameworks subfolder under J2 to group
> these these framework wrappers/bridges, each as a separate subproject so
> they can be used independently.
>
> To allow as much independence on J2 itself so portlets based on the
> bridges can also be deployed on other JSR-168 compliant portals, I also
> propose that these bridges should not contain any J2 specific code but
> only use J2 agnostic interfaces. The StrutsPortlet and the PHPPortlet
> already have such a spi. Jetspeed implementations of these interfaces
> should of course *not* be part of these subprojects but can go into the
> commons subproject.
>
> Several common features of these bridges (like the spi of the
> StrutsPortlet and PHPPortlet which have the same functionality, or url
> parameter rewriting) should as much possibly be put in a common subproject.
>
> The current o.a.j.portlet.ServletPortlet is also generic enough to be
> put there.
>
> As a side note:
> Next week I will start creating a base ServletRenderFilterPortlet which
> will (optional) allow SiteMesh to decorate the render result of portlets
> using servlet 2.3 (only from servlet 2.4 servlet filters can be used for
> included requests). I will then extend StrutsPortlet from the
> ServletRenderFilterPortlet so SiteMesh can be used to decorate Struts
> portlets. If it all works out well the ServletRenderFilterPortlet can
> also go into the framework common package.
>
> I like also to propose a common base package for these bridges:
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.
>
> Then you will get:
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.cocoon
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.common
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.myfaces
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.perl
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.php
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.spring
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.struts
>   org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.framework.velocity
>   (getting excited here)
>
> As artifacts of these projects I propose:
>   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-<version>.jar, and
>   jetspeed-framework-<framework>-spi-<version>.jar (if needed)
Better specified I think as:
   jetspeed-framework-<project Id>-<version>.jar, and
   jetspeed-framework-<project Id>-spi-<version>.jar (if needed)

> Then you will get artifacts like
> jetspeed-framework-struts-2.0-a1-dev.jar and
> jetspeed-framework-common-2.0-a1-dev.jar
Actually, the version should *not* be in sync (per se) with the J2 version as
these projects are intentionally independent of J2. Thus the first versions of
these above more likely are:
   jetspeed-framework-struts-0.2.jar and
   jetspeed-framework-common-0.1.jar