Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/25 03:47:07 UTC

is it legal to use FFmpeg?

here is the url of FFmpeg's License and Legal Considerations:
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/legal.html
In our project,we can assure that we only dynamicly link to the lpgled part
of FFmpeg.Is it legal to apply FFmpeg?
In the license faq of FFmpeg,it metions that it may involve with patent
algorithm but he can't be sure.

  we apply  libavcodec or libavformat in our project.in the general faq of
FFmpeg it says:
4.2 Integrating libavcodec or libavformat in your
program<http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/general.html#TOC22>

You can integrate all the source code of the libraries to link them
statically to avoid any version problem. All you need is to provide a
'config.mak' and a 'config.h' in the parent directory. See the defines
generated by ./configure to understand what is needed.

You can use libavcodec or libavformat in your commercial program, but *any
patch you make must be published*. The best way to proceed is to send your
patches to the FFmpeg mailing list.
here is the url of the general faq:http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/general.html

--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team XJTU

Re: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
we'd better find an subustitute.At least,act before the worst resault comes.

--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU

Re: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by DongWei <go...@gmail.com>.
"Therefore,

Re: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
GNU LGPLThe LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it places
on larger works, violating the third license criterion. Therefore,
LGPL-licensed works must not be included in Apache products. i guess it's
end of story.We can't use ffmpeg and must find a substitute.

Fwd: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.

Re: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/25 William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net>

> Samul Kevin wrote:
> >
> > You can use libavcodec or libavformat in your commercial program, but
> > /any patch you make must be published/. The best way to proceed is to
> > send your patches to the FFmpeg mailing list.
> >
> > here is the url of the general faq:
> http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/general.html
>
> #  Contributions should be licensed under the LGPL 2.1, including an "or
> any later version" clause, or the MIT license. GPL 2
> including an "or any later version" clause is also acceptable, but LGPL is
> preferred.
>
> Wow.  That's fairly ambiguous.
>

> I don't know how this is going to pan out, but thought I should pass on the
> relevant quotation.
>
> Shipping LGPL isn't allowed, but as an /optional/ dependency it's possible
> for projects to offer support to it.

what do you mean by shipping? and how "as an /optional/dependency"?

Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team XJTU

Re: is it legal to use FFmpeg?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.