Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2003/02/26 17:50:03 UTC

[eclipse plugin] setting the output directory

The eclipse plugin currently sets the target directory for eclipse's build
to target/classes. I just wanted to get feedback from other Eclipse users
about this. I'd prefer Eclipse to have its own output directory; preferably
in something different like bin.

Basically I like to do lots of

    maven clean test

from time to time. Any 'maven clean' will force a rebuild to be required in
eclipse. So I don't see much value in Eclipse's binary compilation of the
code to be in the same place as where Maven builds. I'd prefer to keep them
separate.

IDEs are notoriously subjective - would this approach suite others use of
Eclipse? If so I'll go ahead and patch the eclipse plugin to not use the
same location as Maven for its build files.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Re: [eclipse plugin] setting the output directory

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
Btw, the other thing I think the plugin needs (which I will probably do
eventually if it doesn't show up), is a way to generate the info to
files other than the existing .project and .classpath. If you have
existing eclipse project files in the dir, you don't want them blown
away, but on the other hand it is very useful to run the plugin so that
you can regenerate the dependencies and manually cut and paste them into
the eclipse .classpath file.

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
-1. I don't agree at all.

I always run Eclipse and ant/maven pointing to the same place. Sure,
clean means you have to do a rebuild in Eclipse, but you don't actually
have to do clean that often. On the other hand, pointing to the same
place means that you can have maven build rules (in maven.xml or
wherever) that output things (transformes properties file, resources,
etc.) to the build directory that Eclipse couldn't handle building
itself and putting there. This means you can then run unit tests
properly, etc. So Maven does the 'real' build, but Eclipse can happilly
co-exist, and handle some sorts of tasks, such as taking java source and
producing class files.

I would suggest leaving it the same by default, and adding an option to
make it something else. At the end of the day, the plugin is about
taking a Maven project and making Eclipse work with it. If you set the
output directory somewhere else, then effectively you totally separate
Eclipse and Maven.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I've patched the eclipse plugin so that the output directory of the
generated eclipse project can be configured. e.g. I now set the following
variable in my ~/build.properties file

    maven.eclipse.output.dir = bin

which then uses a local bin directory, to keep Eclipse and Maven generated
files separate. I've left the default behaviour the same, so this is an
optional feature for those that need it.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/
Posted by "Stanley,Michael P." <ms...@mitre.org>.
Quick question -

I'm still rather new to Maven, but am an eclipse user and feel I can
provide some input here.

I don't see the problem with the target/classes as a default directory.
However, I understand if you would like to separate the build from
eclipse auto-compile.  +1 to allowing configuration.  In my opinion
providing configuration hooks to modify behavior is a good thing.

One thing thought that I have a question on, is the scenario with a
reactor and multiple "sub-projects.  Newer version of Eclipse allow for
multiple output directories (each source directory can have its own
output directory).  This is extremely useful, and it fits nicely with
maven's target/classes.  My only concern about the additional
configuration is that it takes this into account (I'm not sure if the
eclipse-plugin handles this yet or not, but it should if it doesn't)

- Mike

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.