Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Rahul Jain <ra...@apache.org> on 2000/02/08 04:43:01 UTC

Publishing stylebook...

We should publish whatever version of Stylebook (stylebook.jar) that
we use, in the 'dist' directory for the world to consume. Have we
deliberately not released it?

We need for the world to get at it more conveniently than it is today.

In Xerces-C FAQ we have the question "How was the user documentation
generated?". The answer summarizes to 'its a project to get all the
components installed before you can get started'. I wish it was
simpler. I know one day we will get there.

The documentation currently states:

Download one of the xml-stylebook tar balls from
    http://xml.apache.org/from-cvs/xml-stylebook/
and then extract the file:
    xml-stylebook/bin/stylebook-1.0-b2.jar

Thank you (Pier),

rahul

Re: Publishing stylebook...

Posted by Rahul Jain <ra...@apache.org>.

> The thing is that StyleBook is going to be obsoleted in (I believe) not
> more than one week, and publishing it RIGHT NOW, would be a mistake.

Well, till all the XML projects update their builds to start using Cocoon,
they will need Stylebook. I do not think its fair to delay the releases
any more just to migrate to Cocoon. I don't know if there are more issues
involved in the migration to Cocoon beyond downloading new jar files.
We'll find out once 3.1.0 is out of the door.

rahul

Re: Publishing stylebook...

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Pier and Stefano,
>
> I can understand your pride in your work on Cocoon 2
> but we need to have reproducable builds from previous
> versions. Therefore, I would agree with Rahul that we
> need a working version of Stylebook on the distribution
> page so that people can rebuild previous sources.
>
> This is not a support issue -- it's a reproducability
> issue. We must be able to reproduce previous builds.

Ok... I understand why you need StyleBook...
In my short experience, I've never seen someone trying to build an old
release, but, you might have different requirements...

> So please don't vote -1. If you don't agree, then vote 0
> to make your symbolic point.

The thing is that StyleBook is going to be obsoleted in (I believe) not
more than one week, and publishing it RIGHT NOW, would be a mistake.

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: Publishing stylebook...

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Pier and Stefano,

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org

Re: Publishing stylebook...

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Rahul Jain wrote:
> >
> > We should publish whatever version of Stylebook (stylebook.jar) that
> > we use, in the 'dist' directory for the world to consume. Have we
> > deliberately not released it?
>
> Now that a first rough cut of Cocoon 2.0 I vote -1 for publishing
> StyleBook...

Same here, -1 as well.

I don't want users to use Stylebook because then we'll have to support
it and force them to move to Cocoon2 which will be a lot different in
usage (even if will give similar functionalities from the command line).

We just ask for a little more patience.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Publishing stylebook...

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Re: Publishing stylebook...

Posted by Ralf Pfeiffer <rp...@apache.org>.
Yes I agree, we need to be able to reproduce the build, and we need access
to the stylebook.jar (and possibly code) which produced the apiDocs in the
build.
-rip

--
<person name="Ralf I. Pfeiffer" " email="rpfeiffe@apache.org" />