Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by nikhil gupta <ng...@hotmail.com> on 2007/08/16 12:25:55 UTC

post-commit hook to send checkin mail

Hi There,

We have added a post-commit hook to our repository which is hosted on Windows 2003. The hook is a .Net exe. This works fine for most of the times but when someone commits a large number of files (more than 100 files) at one go, it fails to send mail.

What happens is, it actually commits the files at the server but then shows a "time out" error at the client. The mail is not sent.

This leaves the client in unstable position. One needs to revert the changes in the WC & then take an Update... Had posted the same question to the group before and got to know that
mod_dav_svn waits for the process to shut down before sending the signal to client.

I think that is the problem I have. Can there be any way to avoid this, I mean the signal to the client be sent before the post-commit completes?

If yes, then how? I need to implement the same in .bat or .vbs.

Any details in this regard will be helpful...

Thanks,
Nikhil.

Windows Live Spaces is here! It’s easy to create your own personal Web site.
http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-in

Re: post-commit hook to send checkin mail

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 16 Aug 2007, at 18:06, Rick Jones wrote:

> nikhil gupta wrote:
>> Hi There,
>> We have added a post-commit hook to our repository which is hosted
>> on Windows 2003. The hook is a .Net exe. This works fine for most
>> of the times but when someone commits a large number of files
>> (more than 100 files) at one go, it fails to send mail.
>> What happens is, it actually commits the files at the server but
>> then shows a "time out" error at the client. The mail is not sent.
>> This leaves the client in unstable position. One needs to revert
>> the changes in the WC & then take an Update... Had posted the same
>> question to the group before and got to know that  mod_dav_svn
>> waits for the process to shut down before sending the signal to
>> client.
>> I think that is the problem I have. Can there be any way to avoid
>> this, I mean the signal to the client be sent before the post-
>> commit completes?
>> If yes, then how? I need to implement the same in .bat or .vbs.
>> Any details in this regard will be helpful...
>
> No help, but comiseration - I have had to disable post-commit email
> on a linux server because failure on the email would make the
> commit appear to fail and leave the client in a similar state.  in
> my case I would check-out to a new working directory and delete the
> old one as the workaround - the workaround I'm using now with what
> appears to be a 1.4.4 bug with trying to stat a directory the
> server has already rmdir'd

I'd have thought the simple solution is to not wait for the post
commit script to finish. On Unix, the post commit script would be a
simple shell script that gathers the required data and then runs the
e-mail send script in the background.  On Windows, it's probably just
a .bat script.

Posted by Rick Jones <ri...@hp.com>.