Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com> on 2003/07/05 09:09:22 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Velocity Tools 1.0 Release

well folks, it is time that we did a release of the Velocity Tools project.
the project has been quite stable for months now, the API has been stable much
longer than that, and the project has been working and quite useful for what
seems like ages.  so now, especially given the recent release of Struts 1.1, i
believe it is time to get an official distribution out there and then press on
with new development.

so, i propose we release the current codebase as version 1.0.

Vote:  Velocity Tools 1.0 Release
[ ] +1  I am in favor of the release, and will help support it
[ ] +0  I am in favor of the release, but am unable to help support it
[ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
[ ] -1  I am against this proposal (must include a reason).

only committer votes are binding, but others are welcome to chime in. :)

if all goes well, i hope to get this out there by the middle of next week.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Velocity Tools 1.0 Release

Posted by Ch...@dlr.de.
[x] +0  I am in favor of the release, but am unable to help support it

Thanks Nathan!

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> well folks, it is time that we did a release of the Velocity Tools project.
> the project has been quite stable for months now, the API has been stable much
> longer than that, and the project has been working and quite useful for what
> seems like ages.  so now, especially given the recent release of Struts 1.1, i
> believe it is time to get an official distribution out there and then press on
> with new development.
>
> so, i propose we release the current codebase as version 1.0.

> Vote:  Velocity Tools 1.0 Release
> [ ] +1  I am in favor of the release, and will help support it
> [ ] +0  I am in favor of the release, but am unable to help support it
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am against this proposal (must include a reason).
>
> only committer votes are binding, but others are welcome to chime in. :)
>
> if all goes well, i hope to get this out there by the middle of next week.
>
> Nathan Bubna
> nathan@esha.com

:) Christoph Reck

Re: [PROPOSAL] Velocity Tools 1.0 Release

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.com>.
Nathan Bubna wrote:
[...]

>Vote:  Velocity Tools 1.0 Release
>[ ] +1  I am in favor of the release, and will help support it
>[X] +0  I am in favor of the release, but am unable to help support it
>[ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
>[ ] -1  I am against this proposal (must include a reason).

Gabe

Re: [PROPOSAL] Velocity Tools 1.0 Release

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Daniel Rall said:

> p.s. In the future, please prefix emails which require votes with [VOTE].

sorry.  still getting the hang of this committer gig.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Nathan Bubna" <na...@esha.com> writes:

> well folks, it is time that we did a release of the Velocity Tools project.
> the project has been quite stable for months now, the API has been stable much
> longer than that, and the project has been working and quite useful for what
> seems like ages.  so now, especially given the recent release of Struts 1.1, i
> believe it is time to get an official distribution out there and then press on
> with new development.
>
> so, i propose we release the current codebase as version 1.0.

Woo, finally!

> Vote:  Velocity Tools 1.0 Release
> [ ] +1  I am in favor of the release, and will help support it
> [X] +0  I am in favor of the release, but am unable to help support it
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am against this proposal (must include a reason).

Daniel Rall

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Claude Brisson said:
> Not a commiter either, but +1, although there are still a certain number of
generic
> tools that should be added.
>
> I'm mostly thinking of :
>
>  - a BrowserSniffer tool
>  - a SmtpMailer tool
>  - a TabsTool (facility to handle html tabs)
>  - an Authenticator tool
>
> I do have home-made draft versions of those, but have been lacking some time
> clean their code.
> Gonna try to share them right now.

i'll happily take a look at them, but only after the release.  first things
first.

> Anyway, it is now drastically important to increase the visibility of this
project,
> and a release can help...

yup.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Marinó A. Jónsson said:
> not a committer but i'm +1
>
> although, especially given the recent release of Struts 1.1, I think it
> would be a good idea to upgrade the Struts tools and StrutsUtils to support
> Struts modules before it's distributed officially  :)

nope.  we're shipping Velocity Tools 1.0 to be compatible with Struts 1.0.2.
this is one of the main reasons that i'm so eager to get this out the door.  i
want to start working on Struts 1.1, but i don't want to abandon users stuck
with Struts 1.0.x.  so we're gonna give them a working release before we press
on.

> also, if anyone is interested i have a  home-made draft of a Tiles tool.

yeah, i'd love to give it a look after this release is out.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@savoirweb.com>.
> also, if anyone is interested i have a  home-made draft of a Tiles tool.

sounds interesting

CloD

Not a commiter either, but +1, although there are still a certain number of
generic tools that should be added.

I'm mostly thinking of :

 - a BrowserSniffer tool
 - a SmtpMailer tool
 - a TabsTool (facility to handle html tabs)
 - an Authenticator tool

I do have home-made draft versions of those, but have been lacking some time
to clean their code.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@savoirweb.com>.
Not a commiter either, but +1, although there are still a certain number of generic tools that should be added.

I'm mostly thinking of :

 - a BrowserSniffer tool
 - a SmtpMailer tool
 - a TabsTool (facility to handle html tabs)
 - an Authenticator tool

I do have home-made draft versions of those, but have been lacking some time to clean their code.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@topicus.nl>.
Not a comitter, but:

+1

Eelco

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 03:09 AM, Nathan Bubna wrote:

> well folks, it is time that we did a release of the Velocity Tools
> project.
> the project has been quite stable for months now, the API has been
> stable much
> longer than that, and the project has been working and quite useful
> for what
> seems like ages.  so now, especially given the recent release of
> Struts 1.1, i
> believe it is time to get an official distribution out there and then
> press on
> with new development.
>
> so, i propose we release the current codebase as version 1.0.

> ---
> Vote:  Velocity Tools 1.0 Release
> [X] +1  I am in favor of the release, and will help support it
> [ ] +0  I am in favor of the release, but am unable to help support it
> [ ] -0  I am not in favor of the release
> [ ] -1  I am against this proposal (must include a reason).
> ---
>
> only committer votes are binding, but others are welcome to chime in.
> :)
>
> if all goes well, i hope to get this out there by the middle of next
> week.
>
> Nathan Bubna
> nathan@esha.com

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Velocity Tools 1.0 Release

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Tim Colson said:
> Is there anything in the docs that's missing that I could help with?
> Is there/should there be a quick run down on the examples that are
> included with Vel tools?

i would definitely appreciate help going over the docs right after the release
to make sure we've made proper note of the release and how/where to download
it.

in the meantime, i think things are pretty much sufficient for release.  there
are still a few tools that don't have a doc page of there own (feel free to
jump on those if you want), and i'm sure there's other stuff that could be
added too (rundown on the examples could be one).  contributions of docs are
always a big help!  :)

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> Vote:  Velocity Tools 1.0 Release
+1 :-)

I haven't made any changes to the documentation in a while. In fact, the
stuff on my website is probably a bit behind the current CVS. I'll put
the latest rev up there on Monday. (I'm also going to check out Struts
1.1 and the revised Form Validator stuff so I can create a Tool for the
client side javascript validation.)

Is there anything in the docs that's missing that I could help with?
Is there/should there be a quick run down on the examples that are
included with Vel tools?

Cheers,
Timo