Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/13 17:26:26 UTC

[VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

I'd like to propose that we freeze the codebase now so we can work on
bugs over the next few weeks for a Release Candidate.  This is quite
critical timing NOW for people who have been promised that a mid-June
or early July launch of a commercial product on Wicket would be workable.
I know I am one such person, but I can also point to other such promises
made by the dev team (myself, eelco, others) on this mailing list.

This said, I'm not so hell-bent on shipping that I'd argue for a freeze
before fixing something that's truly important.  But we do really need to
wrap this up as soon as humanly possible so we can ship a FINAL product
in just a few very short weeks.  So, here's the vote:

[ ] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

[ ] Hold your horses, we REALLY MUST (fill in the blank) ______ first.

NOTE: If someone comes up with a good reason not to freeze, we can
revote with that on the ballot.

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

[X] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com>.
[X] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

markup fragment was never meant to go into 1.3

Juergen

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1 for freezing it

i only don't know if everything is ported now correctly?
juergen was busy with something i believe (markup finding??)

johan

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
[x] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing...

Keep the good job! :)

--
Bruno Borges
Summa Technologies Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Unless there are any no votes out there, I take it we're resolved to code
freeze then.

Maybe we could announce this somewhere (Martijn's blog/roadmap)?

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Ian Clarke <ia...@locut.us>.
Jonathan Locke wrote:
> [X] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

As a user (rather than a developer) of Wicket I don't know if my vote
counts for anything, but we have been using HEAD of trunk for 1.3 for
a rather complex project that launches in about 4 weeks, and unless
focus shifts from new features to bugfixing and stability, we will
need to revert to using an older more stable version of Wicket, which
would be far from ideal for us as we have come to rely on some recent
Wicket features.

I realize I'm expressing an opinion based entirely on self-interest
(yay capitalism!), but I just thought you guys might find it useful to
know the practical impact of this vote on a company that has invested
significant time and money in Wicket, and will (hopefully!) provide an
excellent showcase for the technology once we launch.

Ian.

--
Founder and CEO, Thoof Inc
Email: ian@thoof.com

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.
Jonathan Locke wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we freeze the codebase now so we can work on
> bugs over the next few weeks for a Release Candidate.  This is quite
> critical timing NOW for people who have been promised that a mid-June
> or early July launch of a commercial product on Wicket would be workable.
> I know I am one such person, but I can also point to other such promises
> made by the dev team (myself, eelco, others) on this mailing list.
>
> This said, I'm not so hell-bent on shipping that I'd argue for a freeze
> before fixing something that's truly important.  But we do really need to
> wrap this up as soon as humanly possible so we can ship a FINAL product
> in just a few very short weeks.  So, here's the vote:
>
> [ ] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.
>
> [ ] Hold your horses, we REALLY MUST (fill in the blank) ______ first.
>
> NOTE: If someone comes up with a good reason not to freeze, we can
> revote with that on the ballot.

[x] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

Caveat: I'll try to get WICKET-6 done tomorrow, but it doesn't really
matter that much. ;-)

Regards,

Al

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
[x] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

[ ] Hold your horses, we REALLY MUST (fill in the blank) ______ first.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 5/13/07, Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [X] I'm ready to freeze the codebase for RC bug fixing.

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!

Re: [VOTE] Code Freeze for RC

Posted by Janne Hietamäki <ja...@apache.org>.