Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2008/05/16 14:57:57 UTC

Memory settings in 5.1

So here's what I've observed attempting to send 1 MB messages to a queue:

With the default settings (5 MB limit per queue, 20 MB memoryUsage
limit), it slows the producer after 4 messages.
If I bump the memoryUsage to 200MB, no change (seems limited by the
queue limit).
If I then set the queue limit up to 50MB (memoryUsage 200MB), it slows
the producer after 49 messages.
If I then set the memoryUsage to 20MB again, *the producer is never
slowed*!!!  Instead it writes messages to Kaha temp files (which are
incidentally labeled topic even though it's a queue)

I find this a little unexpected.  If the broker has the ability to
write to temp files instead of slowing down the producer, why does it
only do that if the queue memory limit is higher than the broker
memoryUsage limit?  Shouldn't it do that always?

Thanks,
       Aaron

Re: Memory settings in 5.1

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I should also mention that in the last scenario, I was able to send
1000 messages of 1 MB in size, driving the data/localhost/tmp_storage/
directory to 1000 MB -- well in excess of the configured 100 MB
tempUsage limit.  (This was with non-persistent text messages to a
queue.)

Thanks,
        Aaron