Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by as...@wipro.com on 2016/05/12 17:56:28 UTC

Using a password authority to supply repository connector password

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for the time and effort in building and maintaining the Apache Manifoldcf framework.

We are evaluating it for a requirement and would like to plug in a custom password authority for repository password with the SharePoint repository connector and the windows share repository connector.

Instead of specifying the repository password on the UI, we would like the connector to call a Java API to looks up for password against a password authority using a key (typically a server and user name combination).

After going through the Apache Manifold documentation and the source code, it appears that this may not be straightforward.

We would appreciate any guidance on how to implement this either via configuration and/or via code modifications.

Thank you.

Regards
-Ashutosh Rai

Re: Using a password authority to supply repository connector password

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ashutosh,

Access to the UI or API can currently be abstracted through an interface,
but nobody has attempted to do this for individual connector
authentication.  There is no current infrastructure available to support
this either.  Indeed, supporting this functionality would require:

(1) changes to all the connection configuration UIs that would support this
functionality
(2) infrastructure to allow a custom interface implementation to be invoked
whenever connection needs to occur for an authenticated connection
(3) a means of specifying (e.g. registering) the class name of the
implementation to instantiate

This is, as you point out, not very easy to do, and will take a substantial
amount of work to address.  If you are willing to wait for some months we
might be able to address it.

Karl