Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Hinchey <mi...@inference.com> on 2000/04/19 00:39:35 UTC

Schema example personal.xsd won't validate

(I posted this same message to 'general@xml.apache.org' and was asked to
post it here.)

I am using XML4J 3.0.1 (the same happens with xerces-1_0_2).  I wanted to
start working with schemas.  I have not been able to validate any XSD files.
Am I doing something wrong?

Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser, when I try to validate the
data\personal.xsd schema file based on the schema DTD
(http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmlschema-1-19991217/structures.dtd), it gives
the following error:
Fatal Error at (file
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmlschema-1-19991217/structures.dtd, line 14,
char 22): The system identifier must begin with either a single or double
quote character.

In addition, changing the DTD to
"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-1-20000407/structures.dtd" gives:
Fatal Error at (file
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-1-20000407/structures.dtd, line 1,
char 3): The markup declarations contained or pointed to by the document
type declaration must be well-formed.

If I use com.ibm.xml.parsers.DOMParser, data\personal.xsd gives a lot of
errors starting with the one above.

The XML based on the schema (data\personal-schema.xml) seems to validate,
but I want to be able to create new, valid schema files.

Thanks,
Mike