Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io> on 2020/06/02 22:42:38 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Stop using the Geode Repository for Feature/WIP Branches

I know this has been brought up multiple times without resolution. I want us resolve to ban the use of Geode repository for work in progress, feature branches, or any other branches that are not release or support branches. There is no reason given the nature of GitHub why you can’t fork the repository to contribute.

* Work done on these branches results in the ASF bots updating the associated JIRAs and email blasting all of us with your work.

* People don’t clean up these branches, which leads to a mess of branches on everyones clones and in the UI.

* All your intermediate commits get synced to the repo, which bloats the repo for everyone else. Even your commits you rebase over and force push are left in the repo. When you delete your branch these commits are not removed. There is no way for us to prune unreferenced commits. Nobody else needs your commits outside of what was merged to a production branch.

If anyone has a use case for working directly from Geode repo that can’t work from a fork please post it here so we can resolve.

Thanks,
Jake

Re: [DISCUSSION] Stop using the Geode Repository for Feature/WIP Branches

Posted by Blake Bender <bb...@vmware.com>.
Sorry for a long delay, just catching up on a ton of dev mail this morning.  FWIW, I agree that leaving feature/WIP branches in the main repository is bad practice.  The ease and flexibility of branching in Git leads to a strong tendency towards proliferation of these things, and we really ought to apply some discipline to the process to keep the repo history clean.

The detailed instructions on our Wiki re explicit re: use of forks for contributions.  All I see in the top-level "Contributing" page, however, is this:

>>> Use a pull request to submit a code patch to the github mirror. Any new changes should be targeted at the "develop" branch.

Perhaps we should at least add a brief note here about forking?

Thanks,

Blake

On 6/11/20, 11:25 PM, "Jacob Barrett" <ja...@vmware.com> wrote:

    > On Jun 11, 2020, at 8:41 PM, Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com> wrote:
    >
    > -1 for “banning”

    :facepalm: Sorry, poor choice of words. How about “strongly discouraged” because of the harm enumerated perviously.

    > The Geode community has strong precedent for protecting developers’ freedom to choose what works best for them.

    Not to the detriment of others in the community.

    > Maybe check if your graphical git tool-of-choice allows a branch filter regex, or consider git clone --single-branch?

    Whether someone filters or not the issues enumerated exist even if hidden away.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
-1 for “banning”

The Geode community has strong precedent for protecting developers’ freedom to choose what works best for them.

Maybe check if your graphical git tool-of-choice allows a branch filter regex, or consider git clone --single-branch?

-Owen

+1 for ban the use of geode repo for feature branches. Less clutter is better.
________________________________

Posted by Jianxia Chen <jc...@apache.org>.
For features that need collaboration among multiple contributors/committers
and extended amount of time, using a feature branch in ASF repo is more
convenient, compared to using a fork. Other than that, using a fork is
preferable.

Thanks,
Jianxia

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>.
+1 to avoiding clutter by not using feature branches on the Geode repo.

Sharing your own repo, as Kirk suggests, also works better when
collaborating with folks who aren't committers.

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Oleske <mo...@vmware.com>.
> Suppose I want to commit to another contributor's fork. How can they grant
> me permission to do so? (This is a common predicament for me when I'm
> reviewing doc PRs.)

Just as a note: if there is a PR and it is from a fork, the person who opens the PR can check a box that says "Allow contributors to commit to the PR" (or something like that).  That box allows anyone who is committer to commit to that PR regardless if it is fork.

-michael
________________________________
Posted by Jianxia Chen <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@vmware.com>.
We have discussed that when in Common team. The current solution worked perfectly.

One person will merge the develop into feature/GEODE-7665 (which conceptually can be anyone. I did 2 times) every week. Now Naba is taking the responsibility to do the weekly merge. He did great!

Fork will cause many other issues, it will still need a person to maintain it. I feel fork is only suitable for a work that will be finished within a week.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

> On Jun 2, 2020, at 4:50 PM, Nabarun Nag <nn...@vmware.com> wrote:
>
> - Unified location, where anyone who wants to work on the feature can find the feature branch on the geode-repository
> - Visibility, the PRs to the geode repository can be viewed by everyone in the Geode community. Which will not happen if they are raised to my fork.
> - Long running feature development happens in feature branches in Apache projects Eg: Lucene and Kafka.

Great rational for long running feature work being centralized.

While all of these can be addressed in forks by subscribing to that fork, I would be amenable to amend the proposal to allow for long running features, as defined likely by their RFC, to be conducted in the main repository.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Stop using the Geode Repository for Feature/WIP Branches

> I don’t think it is right to make the open source Geode Community to work on my personal fork

Why not? I can fork your fork. I can PR to your fork. Its sort of what Git was made for, no single source repository.

Can you elaborate on why you feel it isn’t right?

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@amduat.net>.

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@vmware.com>.
I agree, I am not justifying the use of repository for small bug fixes etc. or short term individual tasks

I am justifying why PR clear  has a feature branch in the geode repository.

Regards
Naba

> - We are maintaining feature/GEODE-7665 which is the feature branch for PR clear work on which multiple developers are working on.
> - We are maintaining this in Geode repository.
> - All sub-tasks of GEODE-7665 are merged into this feature branch.
> - Anyone in the Geode community can work on any subtask
> - This is a long running, and a massive feature development which is manipulating core code on Apache Geode. Hence all work is pushed to the feature branch to keep develop isolated from a regression introduced in PR clear work.
> - We have previously used release flags for Lucene work which we found to be inefficient and unnecessary extra work.
>
> We vote that PR clear feature branch be maintained in the Geode Repository as this is a long running, massive effort involving everyone from the community.
>
> When the PR clear tasks are completed, the branch will be rigorously tested and then squash merged into develop and the feature branch will be deleted.

I think there can always be exceptions for any rule. I can even understand the desire to have long running branches for large scale refactors or features maintained centrally. The issue is the most of the branches are not of this exceptional scale. I want to eliminate this clutter and consider exceptions where it makes sense. Perhaps which we could ask the ASF to have its bots ignore specifically prefixed branches to future reduce the noise produced by using the Geode repo in these exceptional cases.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@amduat.net>.

Posted by Joris Melchior <jm...@vmware.com>.
I lean towards forks as well. I understand Naba's concerns but for most of the work we do, forks are a straightforward way to work on contributions to Geode. It's easy to give people rights on your fork if you work with multiple contributors.

Joris