Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/08 11:17:40 UTC

Unable to load Applets from Tutorial on Apache Pivot Web Site

Hi,
I've just tried some tutorial pages but I'm unable to load applets.

For example giving URL:

http://cwiki.apache.org/PIVOT/labels-image-views.html

i got an exception like this:

caricamento: classe pivot.wtk.BrowserApplicationContext$HostApplet non trovata.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: pivot.wtk.BrowserApplicationContext$HostApplet
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection
failed:http://cwiki.apache.org/PIVOT/pivot/wtk/BrowserApplicationContext$HostApplet.class
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
	... 7 more
Eccezione: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
pivot.wtk.BrowserApplicationContext$HostApplet

Someone is updating / removing something from there ?

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Unable to load Applets from Tutorial on Apache Pivot Web Site

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Looks like the attachments that stored the pivot jars are gone, but I'm
not sure why.
for example, this attachment is no longer on the server:
 http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/108483/pivot-core.jar
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/108483/pivot-core.jar>

Note that to make errors like this show up properly (i.e. without the
misleading message about not finding class files on the server), we
should be setting "codebase_lookup=false" in our APPLET tag, see here
for documentation:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/plugin/developer_guide/special_attributes.html

In general, I think we should use codebase_lookup in our examples
everywhere - it's a serious performance boost in a couple of situations,
and it makes some errors far more obvious.

Regards, Noel.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Apparently this is a known issue with the wiki's auto-export feature:

http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/#Index-Canweusetheautoexportsiteaspartofourmainwebsite%253F

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Those pages were removed from the wiki a while ago. However, the generated HTML doesn't appear to have been cleaned up. They may need to be manually removed. I'll submit a JIRA issue to infrastructure.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
The tutorials have been moved to the main site (off the Wiki) --
http://incubator.apache.org/pivot/1.3/tutorials/, liked to off the main
site.  How did you get this stale link (we should remove any lingering
references to the old tutorials).
-T