Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Curt Gran <cu...@execpc.com> on 2000/02/28 23:58:25 UTC

Simple question about libs

Hi,
	I'm on a RedHat 6.0 box.  I'm getting ready to install Xerces and I'm
wondering what flavor to go with and what version.
I think I'm most comfortable with the C++ Version but what version should I
use if I'm using Cocoon 1.7?
	Also how can I tell if I have egcs 2.91.66 and glibc 2.1.2-11?  I have
know idea how to figure out if I have these libraries or not.

Thanks.

Curt Gran

Re: Simple question about libs

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Curt Gran wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm on a RedHat 6.0 box.  I'm getting ready to install Xerces and I'm
> wondering what flavor to go with and what version.
> I think I'm most comfortable with the C++ Version but what version should I
> use if I'm using Cocoon 1.7?
> Also how can I tell if I have egcs 2.91.66 and glibc 2.1.2-11?  I have
> know idea how to figure out if I have these libraries or not.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Curt Gran
I don't think you can use the C++ version with Cocoon.  Cocoon is a Java
Servlet and calls the Xerces Java implementation.  You'd need to write a JNI
interface to access the C++ version.  Also you don't really have to be
comfortable with either one unless you plan on writing DOM or SAX code.
Cocoon shields you from almost all aspects of what xerces is doing.

To find out what versions of libraries that were installed by RedHat on your
machine type

rpm -q egcs
or
rpm -q glibc

This only works if the libraries were installed by the RedHat Package
Manager which RedHat distributions use by default.

mike