Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sruthi Kumar Annamneedu <sr...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/12 02:21:15 UTC

Kafka authorizer ACLs question

Hi,

I am hoping someone from the community can help me clarify Kafka authorizer
feature.

*Question:* Do I have to set up any property other than '
authorizer.class.name=kafka.security.auth.SimpleAclAuthorizer' in
server.properties file to activate ACLs using Kafka Authorizer?

*Background:* We have 3-node Kafka cluster (Cloudera environment). N1, N2,
and N3 for Kafka. On all 3 nodes, I have upated server properties file with
authorizer.class.name and also with 'allow.everyone.if.no.acl.found=false'
properties. Expectation is not to allow anyone to produce/consume message
on a test topic as I have not set up ACLs on test topic yet.

*Actual result:* I am able to produce/consumer messages just like setting
up these two properties. Not exactly sure what I am missing.

*Expected result:* Error message complaining about ACLs are blocking
producing/consuming messages.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best,
SK

Re: Kafka authorizer ACLs question

Posted by Sruthi Kumar Annamneedu <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vahid,

    Thanks for your response. Below are more details:
1. I do not have JAAS file created. The set up I have on 3-node Kafka
cluster is 2-way SSL. Not using Plaintext or SASL as I do not have enabled
Kerberos or Sentry.
2. All 3 nodes server.properties files have:
authorizer.class.name...
listeners=SSL...
security.inter.broker.protocol=SSL

Do not have any sasl* properties in any file
3. Able to change ACLs on topics using authorizer cli and the issue is even
though ACLs exist, anyone was able to Produce/consumer Kafka messages.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Best,
Sruthi Kumar