Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Mariana Bustamante <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/17 23:53:28 UTC

Google Analytics and Wicket

Hello,

I'm trying to use Google Analytics with my web application made using
Wicket. The layout of my application is like this:

I have a global plage called "homePage" that contains some panels inside.
One of the panels is a menu which is completely made in java code using
Wicket, the other important panel is the content panel that changes to a
different panel with Ajax every time a user clicks a button on the menu.

I tried placing the Google Analytics script at the bottom of the homePage
but, as expected, in the generated report I can only see this page. However,
I need to be able to view every panel as a different page.

There is a link in the google analytics suppport page that seems like what
I'm looking for (
http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55519)
but I can't see where to put the code they give since the links in my menu
are generated by Wicket in java code and not in html.

I would really appreciate any help to solve this problem,

Thanks in advance,

Mariana

Re: Google Analytics and Wicket

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I'm not sure its going to work like that because as far as the browser
is concerned (where google analytics runs) it's one seamless page.
in other words your panels are only separate as a means to easy
development and maintenance but not as visible http requests.
That would be true of pretty much *any* ajax application, which really
only has one (or a few) pages.

- Brill Pappin

Posted by Mariana Bustamante <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

sorry I've taken so long to write again.

The solution suggested by Janos Cserep using the line "
target.appendJavaScript("pageTracker._trackPageview('" + panel trackCode +
"');");
"
worked!

Thanks to all for you ideas :)

Ing. Mariana Bustamante
Integra Consultores

Re: Google Analytics and Wicket

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mariana Bustamante <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Janos Cserep <cs...@metaprime.hu>.
Hi Mariana,

Yes, with __trackPageview you can pretty much achieve what you want to do.

In your menu component you probably change the panels by instantiating and
replacing a main panel inside your page, right?

If yes, do something like this:

  // ... replace, etc

  target.appendJavaScript("pageTracker._trackPageview('" + panel trackCode +
"');");

}

AjaxRequestTarget.appendJavaScript gets evaluated by the browser at the end
of the AJAX call.

Hope this helps,

Janos