Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2001/12/01 11:50:34 UTC

Re: Workflow & Turbine design questions

Hi Erik

I totally agree. I think a Scheduler which just sends JMS messages when its
time to execute tasks is a great way to solve the problem. Then fault
tolerance and load balancing can be achieved by having server farms to
execute the tasks. (e.g. you could use Messenger with a cluster of Tomcat
servers to execute the tasks which would take care of load balancing & fault
tolerance for you).

The JMS provider will handle load balancing, acknowledgement, recovery,
ensuring messages are delivered only once etc. If need be database-centric
tasks could be implemented with XA 2 phase commit with the JMS provider. If
2 phase commit is required then it could be used by the scheduler as well,
updating the schedule database and sending the JMS message in the same
transaction.

I guess for systems with less transactional requirements then HTTP, servlets
or email could be used as alternatives to JMS.

James