Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/11 23:03:45 UTC

HOW do i create a connection?

I have setup Guacamole using the guacamole install script which works like
a charm, but because of the SERIOUS lack of an ACTUAL video tutorial on how
connections work and how to set one up, i am out of luck to do that.

My attempt to do that landed me in this error

http://imgur.com/Yr7txrT

And with that error, i am unable to do anything and its like i bricked my
installation as this loops and loops forever.

So after i login to guacamole

(1) How do i setup a new connectionm to connect to a newly installed Ubuntu
16.04LTS desktop?

(2) Do i need to install anything on the remote Ubuntu 16.04 LTS desktop to
be able to create connection to it?

Thanks

Re: HOW do i create a connection?

Posted by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>.
Babatunde

RDP is normally is used for Microsoft Windows (remote desktop protocol =
RDP)

However, there is software on linux that also lets you do RDP to a linux
box.

If you are trying to connect to an Ubuntu 16.04 system then you will need
to do a couple things:

   1. On the ubuntu 16.04 install xrdp using the Ubuntu software center or
   synaptic or whatever you use.    NOTE:  the xrdp that is in the Ubuntu
   repositories is quite old (v0.6x) versus the newest xrdp (v0.9) but from
   the sounds of your emails it may be beyond your abilities at this time to
   build the latest xrdp from source so just use the older version.
   2. On Ubuntu you will also need to be using a Desktop OTHER than Unity
   or Gnome3.   Neither of those will work with any remote desktop I am aware
   of.   So you will need to install some other Desktop Environment (DE) such
   as ubuntu-mate, xubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop
   3. Once you've got all the above done then you need to make sure both
   your Ubuntu & any routers you use have Port 3389 (RDP's port) open.

Then and only then ... will you be able to try to get your remote desktop
to work.

This all works as I do it myself but I do use the newer xrdp.    If you are
adventurous & have the time you can use Scarygliders.net  great build
script ( http://scarygliders.net/x11rdp-o-matic-information/) and it will
build xrdp and x11rdp from source for you.    Be warned that it can take a
long time depending on the PC you use (cpu, memory disk speed etc) it can
take up to an hour.

When the x11rdp-o-matic.sh script is done it will also have created 2 .DEB
files for you (one for xrdp and one for x11rdp) which you can then copy
anywhere and install using gdebi or dpkg etc in order to have the newer
xrdp.

If you don't want to use RDP ... remember that Guacamole also supports VNC
so you could install a VNC server on your target Ubuntu machine and connect
using VNC... you will still need to use a desktop other than Unity or
Gnome3 though.

Hope that helps

Brian

Posted by Carl Heaton <ca...@pipe.co>.
Searching for "vnc server ubuntu tutorial" will give you a better
resource than here / is outside this lists scope imho.

If you can connect to the vnc-server using a remote vnc-client as most
tutorials will demonstrate, then these same connection details should
work in guac.

Then lock-down further as appropriate by firewall and/or vpn on the client side.

Ta,
Carl
---
Carl Heaton (Technical Director)
visit: https://www.pipeten.com/ || https://pipe.co/ || https://purely.domains/
call: +44(0)1143030040

Posted by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>.
Babatunde

Someone else already suggested this and after continuing to read your
questions (which are really very basic & could be found by yourself with
some minimal web searches.
As the other person stated, I also think that perhaps your attempt to try
to set Guacamole up for a remote desktop capability is a bit beyond your
capabilities right now.

The guacamole user alias is not really the appropriate place to be asking
questions about how to setup VNC on a server, what ports VNC uses or as
earlier...  why RDP doesn't work by default on Ubuntu 16.04.

Perhaps if you want to continue trying to get guacamole to work for you...
you should start doing a little more study/research on problems you
encounter first before immediately asking someone else to solve your
problems for you.   Otherwise... how will you learn ?  Right?

We all started off as beginners in linux, networking etc at one time but I
think we've all be told that same thing.   That's how we all learned what
we each know today ...

Brian

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Babatunde Busari <

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.
No problem

My question is actually about guacamole's new connections settings

Where do i specify what use i want to use to login via VNC method?

Posted by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>.
Babtunde

You were in WAY over your head technically which was obvious from your many
questions about BASIC technologies that you spent ZERO time trying to
investigate or solve yourself !

Instead you felt you had the "right" to keep asking the people on this
email alias to solve ALL your many problems for you, even when MOST HAD
NOTHING to do with Guacamole ??

Guacamole is a great project that works for many people..  you are just not
one of those.     You don't seem to have even the basic
background/knowledge of RDP, VNC, Linux (ports etc).

If you hadn't found that script on SourceForge I doubt you would ever have
even gotten any part of Guacamole, mysql, nginx etc  installed after
watching how you struggled with something so simple & basic as VNC.

You now only sound juvenile & petty by bad-mouthing the Guacamole project
just because you are NOT technical enough to work with it.

At least you have to pay NoMachine to use their product NX and their poor
tech support will be stuck answering your future continuous stream of
questions...

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Babatunde Busari <

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Mahmoud El Tabarane <ta...@gmail.com>.
You can search for user-mapping.xml and see examples for vnc settings, user-mapping is 1 of the authentication methods for guacamole, standard location in unix based is /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml

 Mahmoud El Tabarane

Posted by Bob Henderson <bh...@lpa.k12.mn.us>.

Check us out on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/lpa2889>

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.
CORRECTION

Posted by Clinton Tonge <ct...@northwindsolutions.com>.

[cid:image001.png@01D1AA16.4AC2D520]
www.northwindsolutions.com<http://www.northwindsolutions.com>

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.
Ok i have installed x1vnc

apt install x11vnc

and its running on port 631

So now my questions are what user will guacamole use to login for VNC?
and where do i specify what user on the remote desktop to use?

Also do i need to edit sshd config to allow some type of connections?

Thanks; appreciate all the help

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Jul 14, 2016 8:55 AM, "Babatunde Busari" <ba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok seems like i need to do something on the remote client desktop first
> What exactly do i need to do because i didn't know i had to do anything
as guacamole is said to be clienteles

No, not on the client. These kind souls are telling you that you need to
look at the machine you're trying to connect to - the machine whose
hostname you entered to produce the connection that you're using when you
log in.

> Lastly and again, why can't guacamole timeout if it cannot connect so i
can edit connection or at least keep working on the guacamole setup?

Guacamole timing out is one of the reasons you might see that error dialog.
The reconnect timer is only there for convenience.

If you want to go back to the settings, open the Guacamole menu by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Shift, click your username to open the user menu, and then click
"Settings".

Using the Guacamole interface in general, as well as opening that menu, is
documented in the manual:

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/using-guacamole.html#guacamole-menu

- Mike

Re: HOW do i create a connection?

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.
Ok seems like i need to do something on the remote client desktop first
What exactly do i need to do because i didn't know i had to do anything as
guacamole is said to be clienteles

So i have to install xrdp? and start it?
What else i have to do? and when creating connection on guacamole server
what setting should i be aware of hostname, port, and other settings i have
to make sure works.

Posted by Oliver Jones <ol...@glance.net>.

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>.
Babatunde

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hey @Mike

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Babatunde Busari <ba...@gmail.com>.
Anyone willing to help?

I have everything setup, just want to know the steps to adding connection
to a remote fresh install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS desktop

Thanks

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Babatunde Busari <