Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jeff Gleixner <gl...@uswest.net> on 2000/06/21 20:49:08 UTC

Enough about etoys!

Ed Phillips wrote:

> It is interesting and and somewhat ironic that the Engineering
> dep at eToys [...]
>Paul Singh wrote:

Enough already!  Please stop posting non-mod_perl related drivel to this
list!  It is neither ironic nor interesting and it's not why people have
signed-up for this list.

Yes, this message isn't related.  Sorry all. I'm just fed up with this
noise.

Thank you
--
Groucho Marx Saying of the moment :
	Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by darren chamberlain <da...@boston.com>.
Michael Todd Glazier (michaeltodd@Galli-Glazier.com) said something to this effect:
> As a way to speed up the CGIs but allow my designers easy access to
> the html file, I'm executing an Apache::Registry CGI script from
> within an .shtml document using #exec cgi . The Apache manual says to
> prefer use of #include virtual, but that doesn't pass the query
> string from the request. In a way this is a hacked template system. :)
>
> Is there a reason, barring the known fact it would be faster as a
> full blown module :), not to use this set-up?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - mt

How about using Perl includes, like <!--#perl sub="My::Package" -->? Much
cleaner, and still consistant with other types of includes. And, since it
uses the standard Apache/mod_perl module format (sub handler and all that),
the modules you use in Perl subs can be easily moved over to full handlers
if necessary.

Perl subs requires that mod_perl be built staticalll with Apache, and that
mod_perl built with EVERYTHING=1 or PERL_SSI=1.

darren

--
If God had not given us sticky tape, it would have been necessary to invent it.

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

MTG> <!--#perl sub="Apache::Include" arg="/perl/ssi.pl" -->

MTG> The book Professional Apache says this is more efficient than include
MTG> virtual since it allows scripts to be persistent, but I don't see how
MTG> they would not be using include virtual.

I have mod_perl as dynamic since I run different configs on different
boxes and I hate to have multiple binaries...  The #perl doesn't work
with dynamic mod_perl.

The boot Professional Apache must assume that whatever you're #include
virtual-ing is non-mod_perl otherwise this statement wrong.

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Michael Todd Glazier <mi...@galli-glazier.com>.
At 9:39 AM -0400 6/22/00, Vivek Khera wrote:

>I use the include virtual in some situations.  If you want the query
>string, just append it:
>
>  <!--#include virtual="/path/to/program?$QUERY_STRING" -->

Do you happen to know if there's any performance difference between
using the include and virtual and using the following:

<!--#perl sub="Apache::Include" arg="/perl/ssi.pl" -->

The book Professional Apache says this is more efficient than include
virtual since it allows scripts to be persistent, but I don't see how
they would not be using include virtual.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time.

- mt

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
GPG & MIME spoken here            http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

RE: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Kenneth Lee <ke...@alfacomtech.com>.
Hey, I'm doing this too! I use #include virtual to invoke
my CGI scripts to embed some dynamic objects. But to do so
my scripts have to add a if-construct to get the query string
when running as a SSI script:

  if ($ENV{SERVER_PROTOCOL} eq 'INCLUDED') {
    ($qstr) =~ ($ENV{REQUEST_URI} =~ /\?(.*)/);
    $q = new CGI $qstr;
  } else {
    $q = new CGI;
  }

yeah, this is ugly, but i'm doing this anyway.
hope this helps.
kenneth

Re: [OT] Enough about etoys!

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 01:49 PM 6/21/00 -0500, Jeff Gleixner wrote:
>Ed Phillips wrote:
> >
> > It is interesting and and somewhat ironic that the Engineering
> > dep at eToys [...]
> >Paul Singh wrote:
>
>Enough already!  Please stop posting non-mod_perl related drivel to this
>list!  It is neither ironic nor interesting and it's not why people have
>signed-up for this list.
>
>Yes, this message isn't related.  Sorry all. I'm just fed up with this
>noise.

Yeah, but it should be [OT] Enough about etoys! :) Believe it or not , some
people do explicitly filter out OT's so it's considered etiquette to put that.

However, with that said, my impression is that OT topics were at least
moderately associated with mod_perl even if not directly. This is just
really really not associated with mod_perl directly or indirectly (from a
technical level) and so although I read OT posts, I really hate this thread.

Especially when it's clearly not a black and white issue and too emotional
for a mailing list. I also do not want to hear this talk anymore, stuff
like this is better for slashdot. (And it's one of the reasons I stopped
reading slashdot although I was an addict for a long while).

I am also a ashamed at the thought of people new to mod_perl joining this
list and seeing these occasional nasty messages back and forth(whether
warranted or not there are other forums for this type of thing).

I prefer if we keep this list professional and as ON TOPIC (OT ... :)) as
possible even for OT messages.

Newbies don't really always understand OT abbreviation and what it means
either.

Later,
    Gunther