Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2011/07/13 20:04:31 UTC

Proposal: create a separate ZooKeeper release artifact for recipes

During the recent developer meetup we discussed how to more
effectively grow the recipes.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/June2011DeveloperMeeting

The concerns seemed to be around managing changes, community growth,
and releases. We discussed a number of approaches:
* move recipes into apache-extras
* or github
* or incubator
* or sub-project

each of these has it's good and bad points. One alternative that I put
forth was to create a separate release artifact for recipes as part of
the ZooKeeper project itself. What would this look like?

* zookeeper/trunk/src/recipes would move to
zookeeper/recipes/{trunk,branches,tags,...}
* there would be distinct/separate releases of zookeeper and
zookeeper-recipes artifacts
** these releases would not necessarily be synchronized, although we'd
want to ensure that particular versions of each release work together
** these releases would go through our standard release process - ie
creation of release candidate by a committer and approval by the PMC
** recipes would no longer be included in "zookeeper" (core) releases
* continue to use the ZOOKEEPER jira, with "recipes" component
* space in the web and wiki sites for recipes specific pages
* recipes continue to use the std zookeeper mailing lists
* commits to recipes would continue to use our regular commit process
(jira, rtc, etc...)
* we would accept new "ZooKeeper committers" with the intent that they
focus on their area of expertise, whether this be core (zookeeper
trunk) or recipes.

This last item is the more interesting I think, the other issues are
all pretty straightforward. Although moving to sub (or out entirely)
would allow us to have a separate commit list it would fragment the
ZooKeeper community. I also believe that over time committers to
recipes would more likely get experience with core and start
contributing there as well. The only issue really, if you want to call
it that, is that we'd have committers with "guardrails" implied. ie
someone with more expertise in recipes than core. However there are
many other Apache projects that take this approach, and do it
successfully. Regardless RTC allows for review both before and after a
change is committed.

What do you think?

Patrick

Re: Proposal: create a separate ZooKeeper release artifact for recipes

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Separator committer lists are generally frowned on by Apache (ref
Lucene/Solr and also Mahout).

They also are essentially unnecessary.  It isn't that big a deal to have a
single committer list and depend on reversion to enforce community
standards.  Core ZK is review-then-commit and should continue to be.
 Add-on modules that are relatively independent of the core can quite
reasonably be commit-then-review or whatever level of care is implied by
module's content.  The review can include a determination of who should
actually do the commit.

Moreover, projects can easily have more than one artifact.  Mahout has
three independent artifacts (mahout-math, mahout-collections and the core
stuff with examples and integration code).  That works well.  There are
different sets of committers who are typically the ones who work on
different components.  The overall level of diligence required in Mahout is
much lower than for Zookeeper as you might expect, but the principle that
multiple artifacts are fine is still the same.  Likewise, the idea of
committers with specialized expertise also applies here.

There is a tradition in Zookeeper of having a very high bar for
committership, but experience in some other projects indicates that this
doesn't actually help quality or security all that much and it can be
argued to decrease community involvement a bit.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jz...@netflix.com>.
My initial opinion would be to make it a separate artifact - something
akin to the blessed implementation. What changes would need to be made to
bring it into the incubator? My main concern is that this is an active
service inside of Netflix. I imagine Netflix would fork it internally so
as not to burden our releases.

-Jordan

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.