Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Jim Wilson <wi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/11 02:21:40 UTC

Windows Native Launching?

Dear Nutch User Community,

Does anyone have a nutch.bat file to use in the bin directory?  I find it
bemusing that Java (cross-platform) was chosen as the development language,
but the launcher is written in Bash.

I'd even be happy with a nutch.rb - I'd rather install Ruby than Cygwin.
Thanks in advance.

-- Jim R. Wilson

Re: Windows Native Launching?

Posted by Ben Ogle <og...@gmail.com>.
http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/CrossPlatformNutchScripts

Now everyone can add their own or make mine better.

I want to use the recrawl script more before I post it...

Ben

Posted by Jim Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Ogle <og...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update.  The reason I suggested a .bat file is to mirror the
behavior of Apache Ant - which has an ant.bat as well as an SH launcher
called just "ant".

It may be more complicated than it's worth however to just make a DOS batch
script - DOS is weak compared to *nix shells.  The right solution may be to

Posted by Uroš Gruber <ur...@sir-mag.com>.
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> Tomi NA wrote:
>> On 9/11/06, Jim Wilson <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear Nutch User Community,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a nutch.bat file to use in the bin directory?  I
>>> find it
>>> bemusing that Java (cross-platform) was chosen as the development
>>> language,
>>> but the launcher is written in Bash.
>>
>> As much as I hate to say it, but you're right, it doesn't make any
>> sense to hobble such a great body of platform independent code with a
>> couple of short bit vital *n*x-only scripts. ...even if we are talking
>> about windows.
>> Would it make sense to go java all the way and use groovy or
>> beanshell? My knowledge of these projects is rather superficial, but
>> someone else might know more...
>
> Originally Cygwin was needed to ensure the presence of some of the
> Unix utilities, such as df(1), which get the info from OS that Java
> cannot get; and of course to run the shell scripts.
>
> Recently the dependency on POSIX-compatible df(1) has been removed.
> And scripts can be rewritten in Java - although unless you use another
> type of launcher (again, based on scripts!) there is no way to build
> single-argument applications in Java; so, you always have to type more
> than you would when starting a native application.
>
> Anyway, I believe it should be possible now to get rid of Cygwin
> dependency. If it's a high priority for you, please submit a patch.

I have nutch.bat but it's not complete yet. Also I'm going on vacation
tomorrow for two weeks. If it's not to late I can check later then and
submit a patch.

regards

Uros

Re: Windows Native Launching?

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, Jim Wilson <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Nutch User Community,
>
> Does anyone have a nutch.bat file to use in the bin directory?  I find it
> bemusing that Java (cross-platform) was chosen as the development language,
> but the launcher is written in Bash.

As much as I hate to say it, but you're right, it doesn't make any
sense to hobble such a great body of platform independent code with a
couple of short bit vital *n*x-only scripts. ...even if we are talking
about windows.
Would it make sense to go java all the way and use groovy or
beanshell? My knowledge of these projects is rather superficial, but
someone else might know more...

t.n.a.

Re: Windows Native Launching?

Posted by Jim Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bipin - but I think Gmail filtered your attachemtn from me :(

Could you resend the content of the bat, and I'll just copy to a file?
Thanks in advance.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

-- Jim

Posted by Bipin Parmar <bi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jim,