Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Leif Warland <le...@sintef.no> on 2007/08/06 11:47:40 UTC

https/SSL -- proxy (ssh tunnel) problems

Hi!

I'm trying to access our repository through I firewall using a ssh
tunnel. This works fine as long as we only use http, but the connection
fails when I use https.

I have the following subversion setup ($HOME/.subversion/servers):

[groups]
main = mainserver

[main]
http-proxy-host = 127.0.0.1
http-proxy-port = 8888

I then forward port 8888 through the ssh-tunnel to mainserver on port
443. When I run "svn list https://127.0.0.1:8888/path" the contents of
our repository will list as expected, while the command "svn list
https://mainserver/path" gives the following error:

Doing DNS lookup on 127.0.0.1...
Running pre_send hooks
Sending request headers:
PROPFIND /path HTTP/1.1
Host: mainserver
Depth: 0

Sending request-line and headers:
Connecting to 127.0.0.1
Running pre_send hooks
Sending request headers:
CONNECT mainserver:443 HTTP/1.1
Host: mainserver
Connection: TE
TE: trailers

Sending request-line and headers:
Request sent; retry is 0.
Aborted request (-3): Could not read status line
Request ends, status 0 class 0xx, error line:
Could not read status line: connection was closed by proxy server.
Running destroy hooks.
Request ends.
Request ends, status 0 class 0xx, error line:
Could not create SSL connection through proxy server: Could not read status line: connection was closed by proxy server.
Running destroy hooks.
Request ends.
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/path'
svn: PROPFIND of '/path': Could not create SSL connection through proxy server: Could not read status line: connection was closed by proxy server. (https://mainserver)
ne_session_destroy called.
ne_session_destroy called.

Am I doing something wrong?
--
Leif Warland

Consider the little mouse, how sagacious an animal
it is which never entrusts its life to one hole only.
		-- Titus Maccius Plautus

Re: https/SSL -- proxy (ssh tunnel) problems

Posted by Leif Warland <le...@sintef.no>.
Leif Warland <le...@sintef.no> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to access our repository through I firewall using a ssh
> tunnel. This works fine as long as we only use http, but the connection
> fails when I use https.
>
> I have the following subversion setup ($HOME/.subversion/servers):
>
> [groups]
> main = mainserver
>
> [main]
> http-proxy-host = 127.0.0.1
> http-proxy-port = 8888
>
> I then forward port 8888 through the ssh-tunnel to mainserver on port
> 443. When I run "svn list https://127.0.0.1:8888/path" the contents of

I checked what is "received" on port 443, by redirecting to port 8888
instead and using netcat, and this is what i got:

svn list https://127.0.0.1:8888/path ->

mainserver: nc -l 8888
<Some binary stuff>

while:

svn list https://mainserver/path ->

mainserver: nc -l 8888
CONNECT bla:443 HTTP/1.1
Host: bla
Connection: TE
TE: trailers

I've searched that documentation, mail lists as well as googled, but I
can not find the answer to how this should be done.
--
Leif Warland

However, never daunted, I will cope with adversity
in my traditional manner... sulking and nausea.
		-- Tom K. Ryan