Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joe Kmoch <km...@whs.edu> on 2002/09/02 04:57:07 UTC

[users@httpd] group access

I'd like to email with someone about problems I'm having with permissions
on directories within the file structure of our website.  I'm rather new
to Unix and apparently I'm not understanding some of this stuff.

Thanks!

Joe

--
Joe Kmoch                                     Washington High School
Director, Academy of Information Technology   2525 N. Sherman Blvd

Re: [users@httpd] group access

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Joe Kmoch wrote:

> I'd like to email with someone about problems I'm having with permissions
> on directories within the file structure of our website.  I'm rather new
> to Unix and apparently I'm not understanding some of this stuff.

You may want to do a 'man chown' or 'man chgrp' for an introduction. But
beyond that you are propably better of getting a good book on Unix. The
'red book' is my favourite:

	http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130206016/qid=1030965267/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/102-3310847-0472960?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

or similar. It's quite a topic.

	http://synthcode.com/doc/bsh/bsh3_html

or

	http://bmewww.eng.uab.edu/howto/unix_primer/permissions.html

May help. But you need propably to get a book to get into the
fundamentals.

DW