Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Krishnakumar B <ww...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/23 18:26:59 UTC

Query related to JetSpeed and Geronimo

hi,

I have Jetspeed-Fusion deployed on Geronimo. this works fine.
Jetspeed provides a autoDeploy folder where i can drop JSR-168 portlets
and these are picked and automatically deployed.

This feature works in Tomcat. Tomcat deploys this war as a web
application in webapps folder under TomCat.

I am not able to get this to work in Geronimo/Tomcat or Jetty. In
Geronimo its not able to pick some jars and i get ClassNotFound
Exception. How do i ensure that TomCat/Jetty Classloader picks these
jars.  These jars are present in jetspeed  web applications lib
folder. They are available to jetspeed WAR but not for the  wars i add
to autoDeploy folder ( jaxen jar )

The portlet i add to autoDeploy folder connects to DB using a
Datasource.  How can i ensure this DataSource is available for the
portlet thats deployed as i cant use a Geronimo specific plan.

Is it possible to make the autoDeploy feature of jetspeed work on Geronimo?

Thanks for any info.

Regards
Krishnakumar B

Re: Query related to JetSpeed and Geronimo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 23, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Krishnakumar B wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have Jetspeed-Fusion deployed on Geronimo. this works fine.

Could I ask why you are working with jetspeed 1.6 rather than 2.0?

> Jetspeed provides a autoDeploy folder where i can drop JSR-168 portlets
> and these are picked and automatically deployed.
>
> This feature works in Tomcat. Tomcat deploys this war as a web
> application in webapps folder under TomCat.
>
> I am not able to get this to work in Geronimo/Tomcat or Jetty. In
> Geronimo its not able to pick some jars and i get ClassNotFound
> Exception. How do i ensure that TomCat/Jetty Classloader picks these
> jars.  These jars are present in jetspeed  web applications lib
> folder. They are available to jetspeed WAR but not for the  wars i add
> to autoDeploy folder ( jaxen jar )

For now I suggest you preprocess the portlet.xml and web.xml to include
the portlet-wrapping-serviets directly in your web.xml.

> The portlet i add to autoDeploy folder connects to DB using a
> Datasource.  How can i ensure this DataSource is available for the
> portlet thats deployed as i cant use a Geronimo specific plan.

What is preventing you from using a  geronimo plan?  If you wish to
avoid needing a geronimo plan for locating a resource-ref you need to
make sure the resource-ref-name is identical to the
connection-factory-name in a deployed datasource.  For instance, in a
standard geronimo installation, a resource-ref-name of
SystemDatasource, looking up "java:comp/env/SystemDataSource" will find
the datasource deployed in the system-database-plan.xml.

> Is it possible to make the autoDeploy feature of jetspeed work on
> Geronimo?

I haven't looked at jetspeed autodeploy in about a year, so I'm not
entirely sure how it works now.  As I recall the version I looked at
dynamically generated a web.xml from the supplied web.xml and
portlet.xml, then called something in tomcat to deploy the modified
web.xml.

This is not really an appropriate architecture for geronimo IMO, at
least for the jetty integration.  First of all, there is currently no
autodeploy at all in geronimo, and if we implement one it will be a
minor add-on input to the jsr-88 deployment system.

The way I imagine portlet deployment working is something like this:

-- portlet deployer gets access to the web app and determines that
there is a portlet.xml
-- At some point in the web app ModuleBuilder, the portlet builder gets
a chance to process the portlet.xml and add gbeans to the configuration
representing the servlets wrapping the portlets.
-- these gbeans are started along with the other gbeans in the
configuration.

This would work more or less directly for jetty.  IIUC the tomcat
integration is still allowing the tomcat deployment code to process the
web.xml itself.  Therefore a tomcat portlet deployer would probably
have to modify the web.xml rather than configuring gbeans directly.
However,  I think ejb web service deployment does not involve any
web.xml processing, so it may be possible to do something analogous for
portlets and configure them directly.

Thanks!  Please keep us informed of your progress and problems you may
encounter.

david jencks

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Krishnakumar B wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to make the autoDeploy feature of jetspeed work on
>> Geronimo?
>
> I don't know, most likely not. Geronimo doesn't provide the autodeploy
> feature where one could copy his deployables and expect them to be
> deployed.
>
> I'd like to work on the feature (but I'm almost sure that someone's
> declared that it's already being worked out).

AFAIK I didn't think anyone was working on it.. I submitted something
very basic a few months back, but it probably can't be used directly.  I
still think an autodeploy feature would be awesome to have for 1.0, so
if wanted to put something togather +1000

Sachin

Does deploying JetSpeed

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Krishnakumar B wrote:

> Is it possible to make the autoDeploy feature of jetspeed work on Geronimo?

I don't know, most likely not. Geronimo doesn't provide the autodeploy
feature where one could copy his deployables and expect them to be deployed.

I'd like to work on the feature (but I'm almost sure that someone's
declared that it's already being worked out). Does deploying JetSpeed
require some artifical steps?

> Krishnakumar B

Jacek