Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/18 19:11:05 UTC

Proposing a meetup organizing committee

Hi all,

Meetups are an important part of community building and knowledge sharing
for open source projects like Apache Pulsar.  At the same time, the work of
recruiting speakers and organizing sponsors [1] is both time consuming and
not core to project governance.

I propose that the PMC designate a small community communications
subcommittee (with representatives from multiple vendors as well as
unaffiliated participants) to organize monthly community meetups.  This
makeup will help guarantee vendor neutrality moving forward.

In the meantime, my colleague Aaron Williams has created an umbrella group
[2] at Meetup to facilitate coordination there.  We are ready to turn this
over to the Apache Pulsar PMC.

[1] we can expect that sponsors to pay for food and drink will be relevant
again, hopefully soon!
[2] https://www.meetup.com/pro/apache-pulsar/

Re: Proposing a meetup organizing committee

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we should create any sub-committees to bypass the PMC.
The sub-committee topic or proposal should be properly discussed and
approved by the PMC.

In regards to meetups, I don't think we should put every Pulsar meetup
under one umbrella group even this group is managed by PMC. Pulsar
meetup organization should be done in a decentralized way. Everyone
should have the right to start or organize a Pulsar meetup without
going through a "manager" of an umbrella group and ask for approval or
being listed. The responsibility of the PMC is to ensure the usage of
the Pulsar trademark in those meetups is good.

1) If you are the Pulsar meetup organizers, you can use the Pulsar
Slack channel and mailing lists to recruit speakers. I don't see how
having an umbrella group will facilitate the coordination.
2) If the umbrella group is to help discoverability, you can use
hashtags to do so.

Lastly, since there was a concern about the usage of the "Apache
Pulsar" trademark for this umbrella group, my recommendation here is
to solve the concern with the PMC.

- Sijie

Posted by Aaron Williams <aa...@wi5s.com>.
Hello all,

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
For anyone interested in this topic, here is the clarification from the
trademarks team about "Apache Pulsar Community".

---

The home of the Apache Pulsar Community is the ASF. The ASF, including
the ALv2, the registration of trademarks and the ASF's policies around
the use of marks, has been put in place to protect that community. The
ASF ensures, amongst other things, that the community is a vendor
neutral space where anyone who wishes to can collaborate on the
development of Apache Pulsar on equal terms with all other contributors.

The guardians of the Apache Pulsar community are the Apache Pulsar PMC.
As such, the claim to represent the "Apache Pulsar Community" is only
one that can be made by the PMC.

Details:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rba409e3b12067a2e69855ca57ced3fafe20bbeadedeb0441fe7d40c7%40%3Ctrademarks.apache.org%3E

Posted by Aaron Williams <aa...@datastax.com>.
Since it seems to be such a distraction, I changed the name of the parent
group to Apache Pulsar Friends.

Thanks,
Aaron

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Partick,

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
*regarding "sub-committee"*

Let's be super clear here. This is not about the creation of a
sub-committee (or working group, whatever name to use here), which the PMC
may or may not do as it chooses. I can't speak for the entire PMC. The
major issue is if there is such a sub-committee, who is on it. *What is
being requested here is a method for bypassing the fundamental Apache
meritocracy. That's the problem we are talking about here.* 4 PMC members
from 3 different affiliations have expressed this concern.

*regarding "umbrella group"*

There are always pros and cons to any approach is taken here. If your
employer wants to create an umbrella group, you have the free right to do
so. The PMC doesn't prevent you to do so. In fact, creating meetups are
encouraged always!

The problem that needs to be addressed here is the creation of the umbrella
group is done without PMC being involved. The solution that was suggested
by one of the PMC members is renaming it or hand it over to the PMC.
"renaming it" was preferred. It is not because the PMC doesn't want to take
the responsibility to own this umbrella group. As one of the PMC members, I
am happy to take the responsibility for this umbrella group personally.
However, there were concerns expressed on "PMC taking over" and "renaming"
was suggested as a better resolution there. I don't have the right to copy
other people's comments from the PMC thread to here. Hence I suggest your
team addressing the concerns expressed in the PMC thread.

- Sijie

Posted by Aaron Williams <aa...@datastax.com>.
Thank you to everyone who has responded and has given us feedback and
advice!

Joe, thank you for your response, I agree with about 98% of what you
posted.  However, this email chain has gotten too long and confusing to
follow.  Thus, I’m going to “close” this email chain and start with a new,
clean proposal, treating this email chain as background material.

Since the proposal does not deal with any of the exceptions ASF cites, I
will post it to the dev@ email list, so all community members can view and
voice their opinions.[1]

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback.  I truly appreciate you
taking the time to respond in such a respectful and comprehensive way.

And thank you to all community members who took the time to read and/or
respond to the proposal,

Aaron Williams

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html#communication

Posted by Joe F <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Williams <aa...@wi5s.com>.
Hello all,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
BCC: private@

The bulk of this discussion should proceed with good intent on dev@ with a separate thread on private@ only if needed.

I have prepared a set of links to documentation about the Apache Way that is worth reviewing:

https://petri.apache.org/way <https://petri.apache.org/way>

Hierarchy in an Apache project should be as flat as possible.

On dev@ an open discussion about the Apache Pulsar Community should be proceed about:

(1) Communications
- How do the members of the community let the community know what they have been doing?
- How should that be done to show vendor neutrality?

The standard answer is to mention progress on dev@. Other solutions are possible and anyone who is interested should be able to contribute and earn merit in the community. If community volunteers produce a Newsletter that should not bother the PMC.

(2) Meetups - There are a number of questions here and I am likely to miss a few.
- There has been a semi-official Meetup organized by Sree Vadi since Incubation.
- Others wish to his Meetups.
- It can only benefit the whole of the Pulsar Community to communicate all meetups where the commits can know about it.

While it might appear that everyone is far apart I think that people should make one or more proposals. Then there can be a discussion without summary veto from PMC members. Sometimes Consensus is hard.

All The Best,
Dave

Posted by Rajan Dhabalia <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sree Vaddi <sr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Moving back to dev.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the typo:

"isn't violating the ASF policy" -> "is violating the ASF policy"

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Latimer <ch...@chrislatimer.com>.
Hi Matteo,

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Latimer <ch...@chrislatimer.com>.
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster. :-)

Here are my two cents: I would like to see the PMC encourage anyone and
everyone who is willing to volunteer their time and effort to do things
that will help the community grow (as long as it adheres to Apache policies
of course). There are a lot of failed MeetUps that never get off the ground
because organizing them, finding a space for them, finding speakers and
building awareness is not easy! Anyone who has tried to organize a new user
group or meetup can attest to this. I am super happy to see a willingness
from community members to put their effort into helping other community
members who want to take on the role of organizer. It helps improve the
chances of success for MeetUps and that is a good thing for the community
in my view.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matteo,

You will remember that I brought up the subcommittee idea in private
yesterday, and followed up today [before the email you sent and quoted
here] with an intention to start this public thread.

Meanwhile, Aaron has not been hiding the groundwork he is laying for
meetups, including collaborating with your colleagues Tim Spann and Dianjin
Wang at StreamNative.

I’m sure you can understand my desire to bring any outstanding issues
around vendor neutrality to the attention of the PMC in private before
bringing this to the table.  I apologize for any confusion caused by this
delay.

I hope that clears things up.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.