Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/17 19:14:22 UTC

MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Hi,

Another email from a whitelisted mailchimp address that contains malware.

https://pastebin.com/ay83iWjC

It's also not tagged when not whitelisted, and I hoped someone had
some ideas on what further can be done to block it.

Complicating things, it's in Italian.

I've reported it to MailChimp and also removed mailchimp (mcdlv.net
and rsgsv.net) from the local whitelist.

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.
Sorry for top-posting, but just to let folks know, our contact has just let me know that he is on this; I'll report back with anything I hear that I can share.

Anne

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Off-topic, was: [Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware]

Posted by G Roach <gr...@yahoo.com>.
 Here you go:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+esq+after+a+lawyer%27s+name

Posted by Groach <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Usually Esquire a title used in American Law.

 (I'm sure Google has more details.)

Posted by Antony Stone <An...@spamassassin.open.source.it>.
On Friday 20 October 2017 at 19:54:08, Anne P. Mitchell Esq. wrote:

> > On Friday 20 October 2017 at 19:29:31, Anne P. Mitchell Esq. wrote:
> >> Anne P. Mitchell,
> >> Attorney at Law
> >
> > I'm intrigued as to what the "Esq." in your From address indicates?
>
> In the U.S., Esq. (short for 'Esquire') means specifically a person who has
> been admitted to the practice of law and who is permitted to represent
> clients

Aha - thank you for that explanation.

I speak British English, and here the word has a quite different meaning,
specifically relating to men only - hence my confusion when seeing it used by
someone called Anne :)

See the first paragraph of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire

Thanks,

Antony.

--
"Can you keep a secret?"
"Well, I shouldn't really tell you this, but... no."

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: Off-topic, was: [Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware]

Posted by Groach <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

> On Friday 20 October 2017 at 19:29:31, Anne P. Mitchell Esq. wrote:
>
>> Anne P. Mitchell,
>> Attorney at Law
>
> I'm intrigued as to what the "Esq." in your From address indicates?
>
> Please feel free to reply offlist if appropriate.

In the U.S., Esq. (short for 'Esquire') means specifically a person who has been admitted to the practice of law and who is permitted to represent clients (as compared to having completed law school but not being admitted to practice law - in which case the person can/will put "J.D." (for juris doctor) after their name). That said, there are attorneys who are admitted to practice law, and who still use J.D., so you can't really be sure whether someone with J.D. after their name is admitted to practice law or not, while Esq. denotes definitively that the person is allowed to practice and represent clients. :-)

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell,
Attorney at Law
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Legislative Consultant
CEO/President, Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
Legal Counsel: The CyberGreen Institute
Member, Cal. Bar Cyberspace Law Committee
Member, Colorado Cyber Committee
Member, Elevations Credit Union Member Council
Member, Board of Directors, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Ret. Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of San Jose
Ret. Chair, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop

Off-topic, was: [Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware]

Posted by Antony Stone <An...@spamassassin.open.source.it>.

Re: MailChimp Update (Was Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware)

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
They did not respond to the key problems: they still allow their systems to host zipped malware, they allow their clients to upload it, they allow the delivery of mass mail with a link to their hosted malware. These three problems are still in place. Stopping specific clients will not prevent future damage. Finally, the recipients who are now dealing with the MailChimp-hosted ramsomware should class-action against it, and make MailChimp pay through the nose.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
The address "info@scria.org.au" may not be directly responsible for the hack.

You need a forensic report from someone who has access to a recipient's server log.

Posted by "Anne P. Mitchell Esq." <am...@isipp.com>.

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
We have a server-side filter that drops MC into "/Junk/massmail/", being a folder we train people to ignore, unless they are looking for something specific. We do reject any massmail that links to scripts or zipped stuff. Blacklists and whitelists play no role whatsoever here.

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
MailChimp allows their clients to send links to MailChimp-hosted zipped malware. This is negligence at best, criminal at worst.

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM, David Jones <dj...@ena.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/2017 02:38 PM, Alex wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Alex <my...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> And yet, it would have stopped the email in question. It also relies
>>> on other ham rules to subtract points or trusted senders to be
>>> whitelisted. I'm also not convinced all of these are opt-in in the
>>> first place.
>>

>> Third day, third set of false-negatives (20 this time) whitelisted
>> through mailchimp
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/6vkxNXxX
>>
>> I had removed the mcsv.net but forgot mcdlv.net. It's still not being
>> tagged properly without the whitelisting.
>>

> Are all of the recipients the same for the past 3 sets of junk mail?
>
> Are you reporting these to the mailchimp abuse link?  I have generally had
> good results with the major mass marketers like Mailchimp handling their
> rogue customers and blocking the account.  If you report this, then it helps
> all of us.  Blocking things locally only helps your recipients.
>
> You can also safely unsubscribe those senders and provide feedback to
> Mailchimp that you never subscribed to that email.  Enough strikes will get
> that sender blocked by Mailchimp.

Yes, as I wrote in a previous message, I've reported all of these to
mailchimp. Nonetheless, it's not good enough. These are separate users
involved. My users (admins, support people) only see it as receiving
multiple similar spams over three days and wonder why we're unable to
stop them. Whitelisting mailchimp is a bad idea.

And none of this helps to stop these messages that still aren't
currently being blocked by spamassassin proper.

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
>> Why wouldn't you just run the sample I provided through spamassassin
>> again?
>
> 1. I have no way of knowing what your LOCAL configuration is but I'm certain
> that it is substantially unlike any I would put into production use. It
> includes rules not in the standard set, short-circuits at least one rule,
> and appears to have both Bayes and AWL/TxRep disabled.

That is all the result of the whitelisting. Next time I'll submit it
after having passed it through -d.

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:35 PM, Bill Cole
<sa...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2017, at 21:15 (-0400), Alex wrote:
>
>> Why wouldn't you just run the sample I provided through spamassassin
>> again?
>

> 1. I have no way of knowing what your LOCAL configuration is but I'm certain
> that it is substantially unlike any I would put into production use. It
> includes rules not in the standard set, short-circuits at least one rule,
> and appears to have both Bayes and AWL/TxRep disabled.
>
> 2. I don't know if it is justifiable, but the munging of that message makes
> it problematic to run as-is.
>
> I wish you success with working out a solution for detecting this spam.

I wanted to add that sometimes things aren't completely clear in
email, and didn't want to sound ungrateful, so yes, thank you for your
help.

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Currently Seeking Paying Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 10/19/2017 08:15 PM, Alex wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Bill Cole
> <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
>> On 19 Oct 2017, at 17:59 (-0400), Alex wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> As I mentioned just above the link in this message, yes, the domain
>>> was whitelisted. I've since removed it from the whitelist, but the
>>> email still is not tagged by spamassassin.
>>

>> So, do you have an example of a message that didn't hit
>> USER_IN_SPF_WHITELIST? One you got AFTER removing your whitelisting rule?
>> I ask because the sample message also shows a SHORTCIRCUIT hit, which is
>> probably due to your USER_IN_SPF_WHITELIST rule being short-circuited but
>> maybe due to something else. SHORTCIRCUIT does as it is documented to do: if
>> there are pending DNS queries for evil URLs in a message when a
>> short-circuited rule is hit, their answers are ignored.
>
> Why wouldn't you just run the sample I provided through spamassassin again?
>
> My apologies if it wasn't clear that I've run the message through
> spamassassin after having removed mailchimp from the whitelist and it
> still is not properly tagged as spam. I've reported all of them to
> mailchimp and added some basic body rules that are specific to this
> message, but it seems to me this represents a larger problem.
>
> There were others received that were tagged properly and not
> whitelisted because they involved my specific body rules.

If I remove my whitelisting and other rules based on trusting MailChimp,
I get a score of 7.8 mostly because of local rules that don't trust
FREEMAIL senders.  If a FREEMAIL sender hits anything like DCC, Razor,
Pyzor, high percentage Bayes, and other bad content rules, I amplify
those rule scores a bit with meta rules.

 From my experience, trying to maintain specific body rules for each new
spam campaign is going to be very time consuming and always behind the
spammers.

--
David Jones

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> Another email from a whitelisted mailchimp address that contains malware.
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/ay83iWjC
>>
>> It's also not tagged when not whitelisted, and I hoped someone had
>> some ideas on what further can be done to block it.
>>
>> Complicating things, it's in Italian.
>>
>> I've reported it to MailChimp and also removed mailchimp (mcdlv.net
>> and rsgsv.net) from the local whitelist.
>>

> How did Mailchimp respond to your abuse report?  If they quickly handled it,
> then I see no need to remove them from the local whitelist.  They have a
> serious interest to keep their reputation intact so they should handle this
> rogue customer of theirs quickly.
>
> IMHO, there is more benefit from the whitelist entry versus all of the FPs
> you will get with it removed.  I wouldn't say this for all senders but there
> are a few major senders like Mailchimp, Sendgrid, Constantcontact, Mailgun,
> etc. that I would leave in since they quickly handle abuse reports.

The problem is that it went to a distribution list of at least 80
people, including senior execs. It remains that this message was spam
and should have been tagged with default SA rules but was not :-(

It certainly represents a significant amount of email. This time
MailChimp said they were investigating. Previously they had said that
it required only the original recipient of the message to file the
report.

My bayes is trained such that most marketing emails are bayes99. I've
also now removed mcsv.net from the whitelist and see it resulted in 70
messages from mcsv.net being caught today, all of which were from
marketing@ or news@ or similar accounts from sites like
news@firma.agency.

I'm also concerned about the SPF record for mcsv.net:

mail89.sea31.mcsv.net.  14742   IN      TXT     "v=spf1
ip4:148.105.11.89 include:spf.mandrillapp.com ?all"

?all ??? Really?

 *  0.5 JMQ_SPF_NEUTRAL_ALL ASKDNS: SPF set to ?all!
 *      [mail37.sea31.mcsv.net TXT:v=spf1]
 [ip4:148.105.11.37 include:spf.mandrillapp.com]
 [?all]

It looks like their rsgsv.net server also has an "i dunno, just
accept" SPF entry:

 0.5 JMQ_SPF_NEUTRAL_ALL    ASKDNS: SPF set to ?all!
                            [mail40.atl51.rsgsv.net TXT:v=spf1]
                            [ip4:205.201.135.40 include:spf.mandrillapp.com]
                            [?all]

How can mailchimp have such a lax SPF record?

Re: MailChimp with link to javascript/zip malware

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 17 Oct 2017, at 15:42, David Jones wrote:

> How did Mailchimp respond to your abuse report?  If they quickly
> handled it, then I see no need to remove them from the local
> whitelist.  They have a serious interest to keep their reputation
> intact so they should handle this rogue customer of theirs quickly.
>
> IMHO, there is more benefit from the whitelist entry versus all of the
> FPs you will get with it removed.  I wouldn't say this for all senders
> but there are a few major senders like Mailchimp, Sendgrid,
> Constantcontact, Mailgun, etc. that I would leave in since they
> quickly handle abuse reports.

That's highly site-specific, even user-specific. I would never whitelist
any of those, since I have direct personal experience with each of them
blatantly (and in some cases even explicitly) NOT acting on clear,
polite, properly-targeted, unredacted spam reports of their customers
hitting "spamtraps" that could not appear legitimately on any mailing
list. One compliance manager in that set (who is happy to no longer be
in that role) told me directly in 2015 that large enough customers were
effectively immune to spam reports because of the way their metrics were
structured. In that particular case the address being hit repeatedly
despite complaints was one that could only have been obtained by
acquiring one of my employer's customers' (or co-workers') address
books.

With that said, I also have never been in an employer or customer
environment where I believed any of those needed to be treated with
greater suspicion than a random unknown sender. None of them would get
mail through to an untagged address on my personal system, but that's an
outlier environment.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.