Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2009/01/14 19:24:28 UTC

Transport release for Axis2 1.5?

Hey folks:

Can we do an official transports release to coincide with Axis2 1.5?
Right now there are SNAPSHOT dependencies in there that I'd like to get
rid of.

Is the codebase in OK shape to ship?  What should we call it,
version-wise? Anyone want to volunteer to manage the release?

A suggestion - for this first release, let's start all the transports at
1.0, and then make sure that each one can be released independently.  In
other words, there should be nothing to prevent axis2-http-transport
from being at 1.5 while axis2-jms-transport is at 3.0.

If we want to release the big glommed-together transport jar with
everything in it, that would also version independently, and we'd have
to be very clear in the release notes which versions of which transports
were contained therein.  Personally, I'd be in favor of getting rid of
the unified transport jar entirely, and perhaps just giving people tools
to put multiple transports together in a single jar with Maven if they
feel like it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
--Glen

Re: Transport release for Axis2 1.5?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Glen
> Can we do an official transports release to coincide with Axis2 1.5?
> Right now there are SNAPSHOT dependencies in there that I'd like to get
> rid of.
>
> Is the codebase in OK shape to ship?  What should we call it,
> version-wise? Anyone want to volunteer to manage the release?

I think its generally ready.. but let me check for open JIRA's to make
sure we get as many major issues as closed.. BTW, this will partly
depend on the urgency of this? I would be able to manage the release. Do
you have a target date/release plan for the 1.5 release - I am sorry I
might have missed some mails..
> A suggestion - for this first release, let's start all the transports at
> 1.0, and then make sure that each one can be released independently.  In
> other words, there should be nothing to prevent axis2-http-transport
> from being at 1.5 while axis2-jms-transport is at 3.0.

+1
> If we want to release the big glommed-together transport jar with
> everything in it, that would also version independently, and we'd have
> to be very clear in the release notes which versions of which transports
> were contained therein.  Personally, I'd be in favor of getting rid of
> the unified transport jar entirely
+1 from me too..

thanks
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Transport release for Axis2 1.5?

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
> Hey folks:
>
> Can we do an official transports release to coincide with Axis2 1.5?
> Right now there are SNAPSHOT dependencies in there that I'd like to get
> rid of.

I think we should, I do not see a big difference b/w this and other
commons projects.
> Is the codebase in OK shape to ship?  What should we call it,
> version-wise? Anyone want to volunteer to manage the release?
>
> A suggestion - for this first release, let's start all the transports at
> 1.0, and then make sure that each one can be released independently.  In
> other words, there should be nothing to prevent axis2-http-transport
> from being at 1.5 while axis2-jms-transport is at 3.0.

+1, so we have individual releases as well as one big jar containing all
the transports.

Deepal

Re: Transport release for Axis2 1.5?

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 to everything, especially the removing of a unified transport jar.

Sanjiva.

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/