Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2000/07/25 16:47:50 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Jasper, Use XML parser to improve error reporting of JSP taglib problems

Nick Bauman wrote:

> Sounds like it would be slooooow.

Actually, I'd have to investigate how JRun does it, but in their 2.3
version, their parser/validator used XML to generate the .java file much
faster.  I believe it converted the non-XML parts of the JSP page to XML
compliant sections (code blocks, text blocks), and then applied XSL to
it (again, this is all theory based on investigating the temp files it
created during page compilation).  Again, it was actually much faster
than other JSP processors I'd seen.  If you think about it, XML
processors are very optimized while if you create your own processor,
you probably haven't spent quite as much time making it fast and memory
friendly.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: [PROPOSAL] Jasper, Use XML parser to improve error reporting of JSP taglib problems

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
I'll second that.  Using XSLT to generate the java code needed for the
tags is another good idea.

In the long run, I think it will be easier to implement this proposal
than to try and catch all the places in the parser that cause JSP tag
compilation to fail and try to generate a correct error message.

Regards,

Glenn