Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl> on 2004/05/25 11:04:42 UTC

Re: javadoc on generated source directories - valid point!

Denis McLaughlin wrote:

>   I don't think using a maven.compile.src.set property value (as it is
> in your patch) provides the same benefits as the maven.compile.src.set
> path refid.  Users are bound to miss something if we make them add all
> the appropriate paths to the project.properties file: it may not be
> obvious to the user which directory is holding the generated code, and
> the directory may change from release to release of the plugin.  It
> would be possible to work around this problem by expecting plugins to
> append paths to the maven.compile.src.set property, but this would just
> duplicate existing functionality (as mentioned, antlr and castor are
> already appending paths to the path refid), and holding multiple paths
> is really what path refids were intended for, I think, since they take
> care of figuring out the path separator and so on.
 >
> Is there some value to using the maven.compile.src.set property rather
> than the path refid?

I totally agree. Path sets seem superior in this regard to text
properties. Maven even contains some jelly tags to help with path set
manipulation if my memory servers me.

Is there any reason for using text properties? If not, how hard would it
be to change Arnaud's recent contribution to user path sets instead?

Rafal.